lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lights wired without a voltage reducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dmt View Post
12v.. 3w total for both lights.

Not going to be bright I know. I'm thinking another LED light bar later.
Wattage divided by Voltage equals Amperage, so in your case 3/12=1/4
Your two lights only pull a quarter of an amp. I say wire it to two batteries, you will be fine. A lot of people wire two halogens (more amps) to two batteries and are fine.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #22
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Will do. Thanks!
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #23
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thought I'd post my findings here as to why one should use the reducer. I purchased this cart November 2014. The Cart is a 2012 straight from the golf course, original batteries, lights were wired off two of the 6 8V batteries. I installed first thing a true volt meter and after testing each cell with a hydrometer and topping off with water & charging several cycles the run time was very obviously down compared to new batteries. This past week I converted the cart from excel to IQ. While doing this I decided to rotate out the batteries, In doing this I learned two Very important things. One these batteries are heavy, I need to get a lifting tool and most of all get a voltage reducer. I went through two long charge cycles during testing now after a full charge the run time has extended my drive time by 10/15 more minutes running continuously. I wouldn't of thought those old run down batteries would ever do any better did indeed.

Lesson, get a reducer.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
Thought I'd post my findings here as to why one should use the reducer. I purchased this cart November 2014. The Cart is a 2012 straight from the golf course, original batteries, lights were wired off two of the 6 8V batteries. I installed first thing a true volt meter and after testing each cell with a hydrometer and topping off with water & charging several cycles the run time was very obviously down compared to new batteries. This past week I converted the cart from excel to IQ. While doing this I decided to rotate out the batteries, In doing this I learned two Very important things. One these batteries are heavy, I need to get a lifting tool and most of all get a voltage reducer. I went through two long charge cycles during testing now after a full charge the run time has extended my drive time by 10/15 more minutes running continuously. I wouldn't of thought those old run down batteries would ever do any better did indeed.

Lesson, get a reducer.
Never wire off of two batteries is the lesson here. The suggestions above that utilize the whole pack WITHOUT a reducer or utilize a separate 12v battery are acceptable and proven methods that will work without the drawbacks you mentioned.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #25
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

I will defer to the more experienced folks on here, but I will just say that I recently removed my 16 volt to 12volt reducer, connected to two 8 volt batteries and replaced it with a 48 volt to 12 volt, 30 amp reducer. I had a couple of different reasons for it. The new reducer was inexpensive, about $60 from Amazon with free shipping. I didn't like the idea that my old reducer was commanding more drain on just two of my batteries, making it unequal wear. And I plan to possibly add accessories to the cart at a later date, needing more amps. I had assumed that my lights were rated at 10 amps and that's the max on my old reducer. I already have two additional led lights I want to add for night driving. We use our carts daily and sometimes don't return home until after dark. That's just my two and half cents.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car