lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Z71mtr
Gone Wild

Default Water in batteries

Got a question....I let somebody borrow my cart and I think they put bottled water in the batteries thinking he was doing right.....are the batts done for now?
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Water in batteries

I'm not a battery expert but I've but putting bottled water in mine for years. Probably half the time bottles and the other half well water.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not saying that anyone should but I've heard of folks using tap water with no ill results... Distilled water is what is called for but bottled water as in filtered water is going to be better than using tap water or river water etc....

Also nothing you can do about it now but continue using them as as per normal....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintv View Post
I'm not a battery expert but I've but putting bottled water in mine for years. Probably half the time bottles and the other half well water.
Of all things I would say that well water would be about the worst you could do depending on well location and how much minerals and iron the water contained....
Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't think it'll be the kiss of death, but I wouldn't repeat it either. My friends wouldn't have checked the water or plugged it in

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
Z71mtr
Gone Wild

Lol well I should have told him to call me before he did anything to it. He has been there with me when I put distilled in it but for some reason he put bottled water in them.
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I don't know your friend but I have a few myself that don't necessarily know the difference between filtered water and distilled water, at least as far as what difference it would make in a battery. I doubt it's even close to a kiss of death. Unless they were really low, it probably won't ever make a noticeable difference in the long run. My question is or would be - in a pinch where no distilled water is immediately available, is it better to run the batts low on water or add something like bottled or tap to get thru?
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I wouldn't worry about it. I know distilled is recommended, but if the truth is known, I'm sure many golf courses just use regular tap water. I know they are generally leased carts and they don't worry about battery life but keeping them hydrated is probably more important than the type water used.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71mtr View Post
Lol well I should have told him to call me before he did anything to it. He has been there with me when I put distilled in it but for some reason he put bottled water in them.
If the "bottled water" was derived from a Reverse Osmosis system then it is very likely depending on micron rating to have a very low impurities/mineral count...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car