lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Monterey
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default How to wire a voltage reducer into the ignition key?

Hello,

I'm wanting to wire my voltage reducer (48volt to 12volt) on my 2010 Club Car Precedent with 6 8volt batteries to use the start switch. Rather than wiring the hot input wire of the reducer to the number 1 battery, is there a different place that I could connect it so that it's only powered up when the key switch is on?

Thanks!
Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: How to wire a voltage reducer into the ignition key?

What reducer do you have. Most have a on off wire to connect to the key switch.
Plus a wire to connect to the pack pos.

You can connect that wire to the solenoid where the pack pos connects, that will keep it out of the battery acid area.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Monterey
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
What reducer do you have. Most have a on off wire to connect to the key switch.
Plus a wire to connect to the pack pos.

You can connect that wire to the solenoid where the pack pos connects, that will keep it out of the battery acid area.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm using this voltage reducer, I've used them before without any problem and just use them for standard headlights.
Amazon.com: GOLF CART voltage reducer converter 48V to 12V 10A 120W: Electronics Amazon.com: GOLF CART voltage reducer converter 48V to 12V 10A 120W: Electronics
The input only has a pos and a neg. Not sure exactly where to run the pos to instead of the main pos on battery #1.
Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Ok, they make a 48 volt relay same as PD charger relay. What I did was mount this relay on my frame just left of OBC. I connected the neg side of the 48 volt part of the relay to the terminal block just right and below the OBC. I then ran a wire from the pos side of my solenoid coil light blue wire to the pos side of the 48 volt side of the relay. This makes the relay close when I turn the key on. I then ran a wire from one side of the relay contacts to the neg block by the OBC. The other side of the relay contact I ran to the neg of the voltage converter. I ran the pos. wire for the 48 volt side of the converter to the red main pos post of the solenoid, to keep it away from the acid area of the batteries. The 12 volt output side I ran the pos. wire to a pos terminal block and the neg to a neg terminal block.

It would be easy to see if I knew how to draw a digram with this stupid iPad.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car