lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Alltrax XCT: Understanding Max Motoring Amps

Hey Gang... I was reading through the Alltrax configuration manual and trying to understand the Max Motoring Armature Amps and Max Battery Armature Amps. Tuning these two fields seem very important for me and my driving terrain but I'm not entirely sure what they do. Would allowing the controller to draw more amps from the battery pack help keep my speed uphill? Do I need to use caution when adjusting these? I am terrified of overclocking my AMD 7144 motor and frying it, but I don't feel like I'm getting the speed uphill that I should be getting. Also, I run a voltmeter right off the battery pack, it seems to drop to around 43-44 under load, up some of these hills. I'm assuming my battery pack is good. They're from 2013.
flyons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Alltrax XCT: Understanding Max Motoring Amps

Your batteries are bad....50% would be 48.41 volts so you are below 50% of the normal voltage under load...time for new ones.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT: Understanding Max Motoring Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Your batteries are bad....50% would be 48.41 volts so you are below 50% of the normal voltage under load...time for new ones.
Wait... uhm, he said under load on some hills. And we don't even know how charged up before he hit the hill. I hate to say it - I know you're trying to help & maybe you misread? But 43-44 under load (alone) is not a bad battery even if they are aged.

I think you asked me for a new map this AM? Are these readings with the new v5 map installed?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Batteries may be fine. Don't believe everything folks say here! There is a difference between armature and battery amps but you can't adjust between them. You can only set different limits. Under full power, they are the same. Under partial power, Armature amps is generally higher than battery amps because of the way the controller chops the current. Armature amps == motor heat.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just out of curiosity what kind of uphill speed do you get? I get 22-23 and I've seen my volts drop to 43. My batteries are one year old.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Wait... uhm, he said under load on some hills. And we don't even know how charged up before he hit the hill. I hate to say it - I know you're trying to help & maybe you misread? But 43-44 under load (alone) is not a bad battery even if they are aged.

I think you asked me for a new map this AM? Are these readings with the new v5 map installed?
Yes, that was me. This is after the v5 map was installed. I'm not seeing whole lot of speed and torque improvement with the 7144 vs the stock AMD motor. However, other than load the field map, I haven't tweaked any of the settings on the controller. So my Alltrax basically has the stock IQ motor settings you programmed.

About my batteries, on a full charge right after pulling the plug they sit right around 49.8v. Under load on flat ground and with a full charge, they see about 46-47v. 43v is on one of the steeper hills and it will sit at 43 until it starts to level out.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Just out of curiosity what kind of uphill speed do you get? I get 22-23 and I've seen my volts drop to 43. My batteries are one year old.
I'm lucky if I get 23 on flat ground. I do a solid 21 on flat ground (according to the Waze speedometer). Uphill, and depending on how steep the hill is, I'd say I do around 15mph with just myself in the cart. Also, not sure if it matters, but I have stock tires on the cart. However, this will soon change to 22" tires because I blew out a tire yesterday.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Batteries may be fine. Don't believe everything folks say here! There is a difference between armature and battery amps but you can't adjust between them. You can only set different limits. Under full power, they are the same. Under partial power, Armature amps is generally higher than battery amps because of the way the controller chops the current. Armature amps == motor heat.
The reason I ask about these is because a few weeks back when I was talking Robby at PQ, he mentioned that the speed decrease uphill is related to how much the voltage drops as I climb. So my logic was if I could feed the controller and motor more current, then it might improve the speed uphill.

I'm just not too confident I have the best settings configured in my Alltrax. I'm not seeing a huge difference between my stock AMD motor and the 7144, especially after reading everyone else's results with the same or similar cart configuration. Aside from settings in the Alltrax, my battery pack seems like it could be the only other explanation.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Fully charged, after rest,48 volt battery pack voltage should be 50.93 volts.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I guess it wouldn't hurt to put a voltmeter on each battery one-at-a-time and climb that same hill with each one. That will tell you if one of them is super-weak and is leaving the rest of the pack to pull-the-load. You said 49.8 when you just pull the plug (I assume the charger is off and has been for a while at that point - not just immediately when the charger clicks off....right)? Fresh/healthy packs do show well above 50 with the pack at rest.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car