lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
rib33024

Default Re: 96’ ezgo not moving after snap sound

Remove the pan on the rear end. While turning the axle, look at the gears and make sure they are turning in the rear end. Both axles. You might have a snapped/broken axle. That's the next thing to go if it's not a brake hub
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Remove the pan on the rear end. While turning the axle, look at the gears and make sure they are turning in the rear end. Both axles. You might have a snapped/broken axle. That's the next thing to go if it's not a brake hub

Thank you. Anything special about removing the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onabeachsomewheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
rib33024

Not really. Just remove the bolts and use a putty knife and tap it in between the rear case and the pan. It's probably on there with a sealer.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post

I took the pan off. When I turn the drivers side hub, Nothing happens inside the gear box. When I turn the passenger side rear wheel the small gears inside the box turn, But not the large one that looks like is hooked to the motor. When you press the go pedal the the big gear turns but it doesn’t look like any of the small ones engage.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If it was a gear you could push the cart a little bit and it would try to go. You need to jack up the rear of the cart and pull off the wheels. Have someone watch the hubs and while holding pressure on the brakes hit the go pedal but just enough to make the motor spin. Now look and see if one side spins the castle nut but not the hub. If one side does that then that hub is stripped. If neither moves you probably broke an axle. Now time to pull the differential cover and see what you have.

I definitely broke something. Any ideas at this point on what to look at inside to determine what I need to replace?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #16
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Probably a stripped hub. Does the castellated nut in the middle spin when you run it? Take off the wheel and cover. Probably passenger side.

Thank you but not the hub.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pretty much sounds like you broke the driver side axle. Remove the brake and hub assembly, remove the c clip and pull the axle. If it won’t come out easily then put the hub back on with the nut loose and use it like a slide hammer. Once you get that out you can go from there.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #18
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Pretty much sounds like you broke the driver side axle. Remove the brake and hub assembly, remove the c clip and pull the axle. If it won’t come out easily then put the hub back on with the nut loose and use it like a slide hammer. Once you get that out you can go from there.

Thank you very much. I will give this a try this week and report back.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
onabeachsomewheresoon
Not Yet Wild

So.... man time flies. I got it all taken apart and found the axle was snapped inside the bearing. The bearings had frozen and I believe that was the cause of the axle snapping. I was unable to proceed on my own. After trying for hours to get it out I called a local cart shop who offered pickup service. He came and picked up the cart and replaced the axle, new bearing, new seal, put my differential back together and filled fluid. 600 bucks with return delivery. Not cheap but I had past my frustration point and tool selection ability. I did follow the sticky and after several hours removed the axle on the other side, removed old bearings and seal and reinstalled all new. I had to use a cut off wheel to remove the old bearings. I used the pilot hole method with screws to remove the seal. However I ended up drilling so many holes it just came apart because the screws kept pulling out using vise grips. Tonight I plan to get the breaks back together on that side and give it a test run. Hope the sticky on the disc breaks is easy to follow [emoji23][emoji23]

Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those wheel spacers also contribute to excessive axle side loads. If you could go without or with a 1" instead of 2" would help.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO