lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is something draining my batteries or am i expecting too much out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Well, there ya go. Just confirms my advancing age is interfering with memory.
I've stated in other threads that 15 minutes of rest is sufficient for SoC estimates while out and about. That underestimates the actual SoC, but that is on the safe side when trying to figure out when to head to back to wherever the charger is.

When doing range estimates, the most important part is to be consistent in how long you let the batteries rest. More correctly, remember it is only an estimate.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is something draining my batteries or am i expecting too much out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As you see, the range estimates can vary considerably.
Effected by terrain, type of surface tires are traveling on, weight, wind, temperature, speed, distance traveled and several other factors.

When I do range estimates to see how much my batteries have aged, I use the same course/distance/weight/acceleration/speed as much as possible and adjust for battery temperature. (Battery capacity varies with temperature) Keeping everything as consistent as practical, I can still get a 10% or so variance on successive days.

I haven't check this year yet, but last summer when my batteries were 4 years old, they were still at about 90% of their new capacity. Of course, I using 245AH batteries, which far exceed the AH needed for the relatively short trips I take, so my average SoC is mighty high.

----------
I didn't see anything in your post that waved red flags.
I didn't put it in the post but there was a very large weight difference between the two examples. When I do this (couple times a year) I log everything I can think of. Temp, tire pressure, weight, battery cycles etc.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I didn't put it in the post but there was a very large weight difference between the two examples. When I do this (couple times a year) I log everything I can think of. Temp, tire pressure, weight, battery cycles etc.
FWIW: Battery temp lags air temp by several hours (Batteries have a huge thermal mass) and I monitor the motor temp, so I use motor temp after the cart has been sitting all night as battery temp in my calculations. I checked a couple of time and motor temp before the cart has moved is more or less the same as the temp of the electrolyte in the batteries.

I was pretty sure it was something like weight or terrain (hills).

The test course I usually use is nearly 12 miles long and a hilly mix of paved and gravel roads along with crossing some grass fields, climbing a flood wall and city streets with numerous stop signs. The number of people onboard and the way I drive makes a lot of difference over the same course.

I guess you can say it is a very rubbery yardstick we are using measure range with.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
SoC (State of Charge) is estimated from the At-Rest voltage. To get a true At-Rest voltage the batteries have to rest (Neither being charged nor discharged) for about 12 hours after charging and for about an hour after discharging.

The battery voltage of lead-acid batteries drops almost instantly when amps are drawn from they, how far the voltage drops is determined by the rate the amps are drawn, the storage capacity of the batteries and their SoC at the time.

New batteries only have about 75% of their rated storage capacity until they are broken in, so that may be part of the reason they drop so much so fast.

Trojan Battery has 8V batteries with 160AH, 170AH, 190AH and 204AH. What AH batteries do you have.

----------
To get a reasonably accurate estimate the range potential, start with a fully charged battery pack, drive the cart for a known distance (Use a GPS to measure distance) and determine the end SoC after the batteries have rested for an our after the trip. Divide the drop in SoC by the miles traveled to get the %SoC per mile. Then divide 50% (Which is the max recommended discharge for your battery pack) by the %SoC per mile to get a max range estimate.

Based on the miles and %Soc given in Post-1, you now have a range of about 20 miles, which should increase to about 25 mile when you batteries are broken in properly and the is about 72 holes of golf on a single charge.

Thanks guys for all this good information. I have the 170AH at a 20hr rate
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO