lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
2003ezgoelectric468
Not Yet Wild

Question Confused about new battery break in

With new batteries installed and charged until the charger shuts off, what voltage should I read?
7.2 per battery would be 43.2 for the 6 battery system. After reading break in posts, they say don't let the batteries go below 80% for the first 12 cycles.
How do you determine 80%?
Is the math 43.2 x .8 which would be 34.56?
Just wondering if the charger will charge that high
PS. Still in the process of installing the batteries so any answers will be a great help to me.
2003ezgoelectric468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Confused about new battery break in

This is the chart I use that was posted by a member here. Also you measure the voltage 12 hours after the charger shuts off. To get the voltage when using the cart let it rest for a while, you’ll notice it going back up for 20 mins or so until it levels off.

If you’ve been using old batteries for a long time you’ll be amazed how much more range you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15388B3B-0481-40DD-99DF-ACA903783B9D.jpeg (127.2 KB, 0 views)
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Every cart should have an in dash digital battery meter installed. They are in expensive, easy 2 wire self powered hook up, they give static, under load, and charger performance readings.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Confused about new battery break in

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Every cart should have an in dash digital battery meter installed. They are in expensive, easy 2 wire self powered hook up, they give static, under load, and charger performance readings.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Thinking about swapping my digital voltage meter and adding a shunt and gauge that shows both voltage and current.
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw007 View Post
Thinking about swapping my digital voltage meter and adding a shunt and gauge that shows both voltage and current.
I was thinking it would be nice to monitor a few other variables besides voltage.I was just looking at some on amazon but they are only rated for 100 amps. Not sufficient for the amperage these carts pull. I like the concept though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (117.5 KB, 0 views)
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003ezgoelectric468 View Post
With new batteries installed and charged until the charger shuts off, what voltage should I read?
7.2 per battery would be 43.2 for the 6 battery system. After reading break in posts, they say don't let the batteries go below 80% for the first 12 cycles.
PS. Still in the process of installing the batteries so any answers will be a great help to me.
Charger should bring batteries up to 44-46v before automatic cutoff (36v nominal pack). Resting voltage is normally checked ~12 hours after automatic cutoff. Use chart posted above. Voltage under load should not drop below about 31-32v. Shouldn't be a problem with new batteries.
Good info here: https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/
This is produced by the Trojan co. but applies to FLA batteries in general. Don't have to read the whole thing. Scroll down to the sections you have interest in.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
This is the chart I use that was posted by a member here. Also you measure the voltage 12 hours after the charger shuts off. To get the voltage when using the cart let it rest for a while, you’ll notice it going back up for 20 mins or so until it levels off. ].
The numbers are the same, but the Carts Unlimited voltage chart has a bit more information on it for less experienced users. See attachment:

I would highly recommend installing a digital voltage meter on your cart to monitor the voltage that you then convert to State of Charge. My digital meter recently quit working and I feel totally lost without it. It is nice to view the static voltage when parked and also the voltage when driving. It gives you a much better understanding of the health and state of charge of your battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8128.jpg (225.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is a link from an earlier discussion on battery meters: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...8-v-carts.html

For those that are interested in a combined Ammeter / Voltmeter, have a look at Post #6 of the above link from DundeeBarnBuggy ... he has a Blue Sea 8248 meter which measures 0 to 500 amps DC and 0 to 60 V DC (https://www.bluesea.com/products/824...ter_with_Alarm). Blue Sea is great quality but expensive ... I have picked up a new Blue Sea 8248 from Ebay for less than half the price, but have not installed it yet ... I will start a new thread once I install it.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Here is a link from an earlier discussion on battery meters: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...8-v-carts.html

For those that are interested in a combined Ammeter / Voltmeter, have a look at Post #6 of the above link from DundeeBarnBuggy ... he has a Blue Sea 8248 meter which measures 0 to 500 amps DC and 0 to 60 V DC (https://www.bluesea.com/products/824...ter_with_Alarm). Blue Sea is great quality but expensive ... I have picked up a new Blue Sea 8248 from Ebay for less than half the price, but have not installed it yet ... I will start a new thread once I install it.
Nice! Thanks for the info.

Edit - I have a little sticker shock now!!! HAHA
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003ezgoelectric468 View Post
There are three different battery voltages we look at for different reasons.

At-Rest: This is the voltage used to estimate SoC (State of Charge) and is measured about 12 hours after the charger shuts off or about half an hour after the cart has been used. In other words, the batteries have rested with out being charged or discharged for a period of time.

On-Charge: This voltage is measured while charger is charging batteries and is used for estimating battery health or charger health. Starts at whatever the battery voltage is when charger is attached and climbs to about 2.5VPC (Volts per Cell) when legacy charger shut off. Modern chargers may climb higher to about 2.7VPC. For a 36V battery pack that is around 45V for the older charges and in the neighborhood of 49V for more modern chargers.

Under-Load: This voltage is measured while cart is being driven and is often used for troubleshooting. Driving up a hill while monitoring battery pack voltage and individual battery voltages can identify bad batteries. Battery voltage drops when amps are drawn from them. During normal operation, try to avoid going below 1.48VPC (31.5V for a 36V pack) and never go below 1.5VPC (27V for aa 36V pack) since that is where irreversible damage to the plates begins to occur.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO