lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: When did ezgo stop using QE Charger

Two things I've noticed that are guaranteed to kill QEs for sure are:

1. They're so sensitive to power surges of ANY kind...Blows one or both the internal fuses that are soldered to the board. I've offered to try to replace them with soldering in a fuse holder with the same rating fuse inside, but boss acts as if it's a waste of time.

2. GFCIs. These things will absolutely kill them or melt the outlet or trip the breaker. They make the charger overheat and the outlet itself get major hot. Not sure why but the last five dead units I asked the customer if he or she plugged them into a GFCI, sure enough, that's a yep! The rebuilt they got never failed (yet) and has been going for 2 years now, they replaced the GFCI with regular outlet (you can do that around here--the NSA aren't going to be knocking on your door or anything)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Tell customers to keep the GFCI, to replace it when they sell the house. Code requires GFCIs in garages and outdoor outlets.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

code might require it but no one here enforces it. Code requires grounding but pretty much every home in the country old enough has never been grounded either.

We changed out all the shop GFCIs for regulars for the same reason--it was killing chargers.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm not talking enforcement, I'm talking about selling a house. Even the worst inspector will catch that and disclose it to the buyer. Easy to fix either way, but a red flag for the inspector to look for other violations. Was a permit pulled for ALL work done to the house? Plumbing and electrical mods are often caught, like a water heater replacement having to meet new code requirements (expansion tank).
Old 06-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We don't have such inspections here. The home I bought was just sold as is. Don't even need a permit to install a water heater. You can buy one anytime at Lowe's and install it yourself. Perhaps it varies by state or region?
Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

We're off topic, but anyone can do anything. Doesn't mean you can sell it. Buyer beware. Most mortgage companies don't require inspections. Last three houses I bought had a contengency of passing an inspection. I did two out of the three.

As to regional, US uses the International Residential Code, but many coastal, siesmic, and permafrost areas may have additional local requirements.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #17
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Too bad we didn't get so lucky :(

Although I haven't seen as much luck with the Quiq's any more than the QEs. We got an equal sized mountain of failed units for both. In fact, the last dead battery special (had a Quiq but not mounted, just used a TXT 48 DC end on one that seemed scavenged out of a Ruff n Tuff to me) had a Quiq that was flashing a pattern of some sort from the 'yellow triangle with exclamation point' light.
The reason I originally asked the question is that I know someone who just bought 20 2013 RXV's from a course. He was assured of good chargers. ALL 20 of the 2013 RXV's came with QE chargers, 13 of the 20 were bad.

Something is wrong with this picture. The course obviously could not have been charging 20 carts with 7 chargers.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

what I see on here is all chargers fail at some point no matter who makes them. Watch the post on here an you will see. I like the charger than came with my cart even though everyone talks bad about them.
hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #19
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This is what I have.

http://azureblog.smallvehicleresourc...O_diagonal.jpg
hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #20
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

QE chargers tend to be bad brand new out of the box. When that's not the case, they're simply easy to kill otherwise. They're also non-repairable and meant to be tossed which is something I cannot accept.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO