lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Sero
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Alltrax XCT48500-DCS problem

I received an EZGO from my parents about a month ago. I determined that the controller was bad so I decided to upgrade to the alltrax xct500. It has a stock motor but I figured I would get the 500 in case I wanted to upgrade in the future. I purchased the alltrax from scottyb. When it arrived I was able to get it connected up and working. It worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then the other day I come home and notice that the GFI outlet that the golf cart charger was plugged into was tripped.

Now I'm not getting any responses from the golf cart. When I plug the controller into the laptop I get a sequence of 4 green flashes on the controller that continuously repeat for as long as the laptop is plugged in. The led never turns solid green. On the monitor page of the alltrax software I can see that the controller recognizes when the cart is put into reverse and when the throttle switch is pushed. It does not give any indication when the key switch is toggled on nor does it give any throttle % when the pedal is pushed.

I have traced voltage for the throttle switch from start to finish. Starting with the charger port to the run/tow switch to the f/r switch to the key switch and ending at the small terminal on the solenoid. Everything appears fine.

I used the laptop to reset the controller and when the key is toggle on I can here the controller turn the solenoid on for a few seconds during reset then it turns it back off. It does not do this if the key switch is off when I reset the controller.

Also disconnected solenoid from everything and tested for continuity across large terminals. Checked good with no continuity. Checked across small terminals. Check good with continuity. Check F/R, throttle and key switches for proper continuity when toggled. All checked good.

Could something have fried the logic circuit on the controller? I was really hoping there was nothing wrong with it since I've only had it a couple weeks but I've tested everything that I think I can.

I'm really hoping to be able to take the cart to the beach at the end of July so any speedy suggestions would be appreciated. I already tried reaching out to alltrax but they are closed until Monday the 9th.
Sero is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax XCT48500-DCS problem

Scotty at carts unlimited is great. Send him an email. He’ll get back to you.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Sero
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I emailed Scotty but received an auto reply saying he's out of the office until Monday as well. Last time I emailed, just before I purchased the unit I received an auto reply as well and he never answered that one either. Hopefully he'll respond this time. I wish he had a business phone number.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The laptop powers the controller's logic circuits via the USB when it is plugged into controller. The repeating four green flashes is normal while laptop is connected. (Throttle settings other than ITS has different number of green flashes)

Check the voltage on Pin-6. Should be same as battery pack voltage when Run/Tow is in Run, either direction is selected on F/R and keyswitch is on.

If you do have voltage on Pin-6, and the keyswitch isn't being shown as "ON" on the monitor screen, I suspect the controller got zapped by the same anomaly that tripped the GFI.

If you do not have voltage on Pin-6, the wire between the solenoid's small terminal with three wires and the banded end of the diode attached to it and Pin-6 is bad.

Might be something else, but based on the information given, those are the only two possibilities I see on the attached schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT in DCS.jpg (246.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Sero
Not Yet Wild

Yes...pin-6 is getting pack voltage but there's no indication on the monitor screen. I would have thought the charger would isolate the golf cart from anything that happens on the 120v side? Charger appears to be working correctly still.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sero View Post
Yes...pin-6 is getting pack voltage but there's no indication on the monitor screen. I would have thought the charger would isolate the golf cart from anything that happens on the 120v side? Charger appears to be working correctly still.
On the controller settings screen, what is the KSI on voltage set to and what is the voltage on Pin-6?

If the setting is a voltage lower than what is measured on Pin-6, the only thing I can suggest is waiting until Monday and contacting Scotty and Alltrax. I'd e-mail Scotty first.

--------
Various chargers have varying amounts of isolation.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

" It worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then the other day I come home and notice that the GFI outlet that the golf cart charger was plugged into was tripped. Now I'm not getting any responses from the golf cart."

1. The cart ran fine for weeks until a charging incident. I'm not sure why we are assuming the controller is bad.
2. It sounds to me like there was a problem during charging that tripped the house breaker and disabled the cart.
3. The Alltrax is reverse polarity protected so it will not be effected by a short circuit.
4. There is a small ignition safety interlock connection commonly called a Reed Switch inside of the charge receptacle which is the first thing to burn out when there is any type of short in the cart. When this switch burns up the result is a completely dead control system. You can buy a new switch $25 or you can perform the power supply bypass as shown. This is the first thing to check.
5. There are 2 small switches on the F&R. There is a micro switch in the pedal box. All of these switches will burn like fuses if they are shorted out.
6. The House fuse breaker indicated a short circuit in the charger. I don't see how this is something I should be on call on a holiday or any day for.

So let us start helping you figure what is wrong with the golf cart now.

Do you have a meter to test for the 36v positive (+) power that is supposed to be passing through the Reed Switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reed Switch.JPG (12.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Sero
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB thx for another useful useful tidbit of information. Unfortunately I already noticed the KSI on voltage so that's not the problem. Full pack voltage is getting to PIN-6. I lowered the KSI on voltage to minimum, which is think is 20, just for kicks. Pack voltage at the time was just over 37. Still no dice.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Sero
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,

First off thanks for your quick response despite it being a holiday. I hope you are having a great 4th of July!

To your points,

1. I never assumed anything. I did do a lot of test tho. I really looked for problems everywhere other than the controller that I could think of. Then I posted here with what I've done in hopes that I missed something simple.

2. It's entirely possible.

3. Cool I didn't know that! That's why I came to this forum. You guys truly are the experts.

4. I checked this already as mentioned in my original post. The reed switch is what I meant when I said I checked for voltage at the charge port. In fact I traced that same voltage from the charge part at every switch until I got back to pin-6 on the controller.

5. I check these switches for proper continuity and they all open and close properly.

6. I didn't mean to sound like I expected you to be on call. Sorry about that. I was surprised not to find a phone number for you but someone kindly posted a link to where you stated why you were dropping your phone. And I completely understand why you did. I can only imagine the number of calls you must have been bombarded with.

I purchased this controller from you because I saw you were really active on the forums and very knowledgeable. So thanks for that.

I am willing to do/redo any test you guys can think of. Y'all are definitely the experts.

I also did a motor continuity test that I found on the internet. Motor check good although I'm pretty sure that it's totally unrelated to my current problem.

I'm on a tight time crunch. My plan was to have this cart ready for a beach trip on the 29th and I'm out of town for work from the 11th-17th. So I greatly appreciate everyone chiming in with help on this Independence Day holiday week. God bless America!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sero, what charger are you using?
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, dcs, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO