lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Odd tire wear in rear

Hi folks. I have a 2016 club car precedent, 12" wheels and a back seat. I added an Alltrax 400 amp controller about 10 months ago, wanted to add that incase the added torque along with the weight of the backseat kit have any impact on what I'm about to describe. Everything was brand new on the cart when I took ownership in Jan 2019. The front tires are wearing evenly but the rear tires have heavy wear on the inside tread only. I mean excessive wear while the rest of the tire looks perfect. I know on a car this would be from too much negative camber but that is not the case here. Do I need the heavy duty leaf springs out back? What would cause this? I appreciate any input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200712_161351.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200712_161401.jpg (188.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200712_161342.jpg (206.2 KB, 0 views)
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Odd tire wear in rear

Looks Under-inflated. Are both sides the same way?
What pressure do you run on those? If you have a back seat and regularly have passengers on it, you need to add a few pounds to the rear tires.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thank you for your input. I run the tires at 24lbs all around. They are only worn on the the very inside, the rest of the tire is perfectly even in wear. We have our 45# dog ride in thr back with the seat flipped down very often and only occasionally have any passengers in the neck seat, maybe a few times for a short ride. I'm starting to wonder if toe is somehow off in the rear and the inner portion of the tires are cupping. I've seen this on a car in the front when toe is off, but never on the rear of a golf cart. It is not lifted or lowered, just natural height.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Use a square and check the rear wheels. My guess is the camber is out. Not adjustable that I know of. Maybe replace axle.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for that insight. I'm going to drop it off at my local golf cart service center and have them take a look at it. I wonder of some bushings are going out causing the toe to change when under load scrubbing the inside of the tires. Or even camber for that matter. Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

you have toe or camber issue and with a solid axle my guess would be bent axle somehow. if it was a car it would be easy to just have the alignment checked but how you accomplsh on cart i dont know for sure.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Larry0071
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCART8A4RE View Post
Thanks for that insight. I'm going to drop it off at my local golf cart service center and have them take a look at it. I wonder of some bushings are going out causing the toe to change when under load scrubbing the inside of the tires. Or even camber for that matter. Thanks again!
It is a solid axle, the caster/camber are welded in as it is assembled. THis is the same for a Jeep Wrangler, HD trucks and more. If you tweak the housing, it is what it is. You replace it.
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
It is a solid axle, the caster/camber are welded in as it is assembled. THis is the same for a Jeep Wrangler, HD trucks and more. If you tweak the housing, it is what it is. You replace it.
Thanks for that insight. That makes sense that this would be the case. I would like to think if the rear were tweaked enough to only wear the inner most edges of the tires you would see the tires bowed in to some degree right? The tires sit perfectly flat on the ground and they do have wear across the tire as if they ride flat or have ridden flat at some point. I never drive it off road, only on pavement in and around our neighborhood. I may have to end up swapping the rear out.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've seen this before. Same thing was happening but in my case on an EZGO (electric). So, not the same exact rear axle but the same type (made by Dana in this case).
Bought this cart new. 20 years old now. Same use as you always on pavement. Cart was never crashed or damaged in anyway and runs good to this day.

The strange tire wear was occurring on both rears but more sever on the right rear. It defies all explanation and I could never resolve it --until-- I removed the original 8" wheels with the standard turf tires (which had been swapped several times) and installed 10" wheels with so called DOT tires. The brand name is Duro.

I don't think the wheel size has anything to do with it. I can't prove that the problem has gone away either but these tires have been on the cart now for several years and show a little wear but no signs of the uneven wear like before or like yours. Makes absolutely no sense.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Inflation pressure causes that. The tires are being rolled on those edges because they're not properly inflated. You would have to get hit by a freight train to bend one of these axles. The hub/ axle shaft is far more likely to bend than the axle itself, which would cause the wheel to wobble as the axle goes around.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car