lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Default Power on both small posts of solenoid

I have a 1997 series 48v ds. I have 48v on the small posts on the solenoid when the cart is in forward. No solenoid click. When I put it in reverse I loose power to the small terminals and when I push the pedal I don’t get any power then either. I have double checked all the wiring and it’s all wired correctly. What could be the cause of this? Could it be shorted in the controller causing it so that? All wires are tight and not broken. I have replaced the micro switches on the f/r switch thinking that could be the cause also. Thanks for the help.
Bryans200583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 10:18 PM   #2
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Power on both small posts of solenoid

Ok. So I get power when I turn the key on and as soon as I hit the pedal,I lose the power at the solenoid. I’m lost. I looked at the wiring a million times thinking something has to be wired wrong but can’t find anything wrong with the wiring.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You have a broken, cut, defective or badly corroded wire supplying power to the solenoid. It's carrying just enough power to read on your meter but when you put a load on it it's failing. Check wiring to solenoid.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

You have to see what side of the solenoid is losing power...Put the one lead of your meter on the neg side of the small terminals...It should be a small yellow wire and the other lead of your meter on pack positive...Key on..cart in forward..pedal down..You should have pack voltage..Then do the same for the positive side of the small terminals..One lead on the pos side the other lead on pack neg..Should be 48+ volts all the time....
The negative to the solenoid on your cart comes from the obc not the controller...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

So, when I put my meter lead on my battery pack negative and the the other to the solenoid positive I get 48v. Push the pedal it goes away. When I put my lead on the battery positive and the yellow wire on the solenoid I get nothing till I push the pedal and I get 48v.
Also, I can put my meter lead on the negative battery without pushing the pedal I’m getting 48v on the yellow wire at the solenoid, is that normal? It goes away when I hit the pedal. Also, when I plug my charger in, it won’t turn on or do anything. I got the golf cart not running and it looks to have a newer obc installed cause the wiring and wire covering looks newer than and clean compared to all the other wiring. Thanks for your help
Old 06-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm a bit confused...Put your meter on the small terminals of the solenoid...Key on..in forward..Pedal down...What is the voltage...
What are you using for a meter.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
I'm a bit confused...Put your meter on the small terminals of the solenoid...Key on..in forward..Pedal down...What is the voltage...
What are you using for a meter.
I’m using a volt meter. Ok. Full battery pack measures 48.5v.
One lead off meter on yellow wire on solenoid and other on battery pack positive.
I get 48v when I push the pedal and nothing when not pushing the pedal.
Now the other way you said, if I put the meter on the positive side of the solenoid and to the negative of the battery pack, I get 48v without pushing the pedal, but as soon as I push the pedal I lose the 48v.
Even the negative side of the solenoid measure 48v without the pedal pushed and goes to zero when I push the pedal when I have the meter on the negative battery terminal.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll almost bet that you installed the diode on the solenoid backwards or it's shorted.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I'll almost bet that you installed the diode on the solenoid backwards or it's shorted.
I read where you can run it without the diode so I removed it just to make sure that wasn’t the problem. If it was, I was gonna order a new one. Still does the same thing without the diode installed.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #10
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just as a test run a jumper from pack negative to the negative side of the solenoid small terminal(small yellow wire) and see if it runs..

Tags
club car ds, power, series, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car