lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

Default Need help pulling my hair out

2000 Club car DS stock with stock wheels
New heavy duty front spring
New hubs
Replace all bushings
New steering rack
New ball joint
Used different rims to see if they are warpy
I have adjusted everything 17 times and no matter what I do the clevis on th drivers side a arm rubs on the inside of the rim when you turn left all the way. I am obviously not doing something Correct or one of the new parts is wrong I have no idea what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2021, 12:47 AM   #2
Hickstylez
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help pulling my hair out

Maybe take off steering wheel andjack up front end adjust tie rod ends and the steering tie rod end so that it doesn't turn as much to the left I believe not sure if the DS steering wheel uses the octagonal shaft.. it might have the splined shaft either way you can adjust everything in conjunction so it doesn't turn quite as much to the left. I dunno if I'm making sense to you not sure really how to explain it perfectly but u can adjust tie rod ends all three and the steering wheels clock position all together and make it turn more or less in one direction or the other first your adjusting the steering box end and the steering wheel then u can make the toe in toe out straight with the tie rod ends.
Hickstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:54 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have no experience with the DS model carts, but it is definitely oversteering on the drivers side.

At what I can see, you have the rack tracking arm wound all the way in. My suggestion would be to pop out the track rod end that attaches the steering arm to the rack. Centre the steering wheel so that you have equal turns lock to lock. Set the toe with the long track arm that goes between the spindles and center the wheels. Then without moving the wheels or steering wheel. Adjust the rack steering arm length to match the position of the hole in the steering arm attached to the spindle. This should then give you equal movement both sides. Hopefully this is your problem.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #4
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstylez View Post
Maybe take off steering wheel andjack up front end adjust tie rod ends and the steering tie rod end so that it doesn't turn as much to the left I believe not sure if the DS steering wheel uses the octagonal shaft.. it might have the splined shaft either way you can adjust everything in conjunction so it doesn't turn quite as much to the left. I dunno if I'm making sense to you not sure really how to explain it perfectly but u can adjust tie rod ends all three and the steering wheels clock position all together and make it turn more or less in one direction or the other first your adjusting the steering box end and the steering wheel then u can make the toe in toe out straight with the tie rod ends.
I think I understand what you are saying.
Step 1 adjust rack so equal turns left and right
Step 2 adjust small rod attached to rack to fit ion spindle with passenger side tire straight
Step 3 adjust tie rod going to drivers side for toe in
Step 4 adjust camber

Thanks Adam
Old 08-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's hard to adjust the rack on these. "Center" is not directly in the middle of the rack due to the design of the rack.
You would be best to just try to adjust the rod coming from the rack first and make it as short as you can, then see if turning all the way left still make it rub. The wheel will be off center, but that can be fixed by removing the u-joint coupler from the input shaft on the rack and putting it back on with the wheel straight, then make a small adjustment to the rod from there.
You have to adjust camber before adjusting toe angle. But moving the rack adjustment does not affect toe angle on this setup. So if your camber and toe are set correctly now, then you won't have to make any other adjustments to those.

You may also need to extend the bump stops on the steering arms so they make contact with the control arms. With the lift done the way it is, the stop may be going beneath the arms which can cause them to bind up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #6
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

UPDATE
After a lot of help I believe I figured out the problem and the fix. I think the heavy duty front spring I installed is a touch longer than the oem spring causing the wheel to be angled in. The fix I cam up with doesn’t make me happy but it is what it is. 1/8” wheel spacer. I am not a fan of just putting a bandaid on the problem I would much rather stop the bleeding. But since cost is a factor for the church spacers are my best option. Thanks for all your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car