lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #71
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 48v conversion

Scottyb has done the research and sourced a great digital voltmeter. 2-wire hookup, real-time display, water-tight. Mine's going in this spring when I get to the campground.

I don't use washers on my terminals. Just another layer for corrosion to take hold of.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #72
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Scottyb has done the research and sourced a great digital voltmeter. 2-wire hookup, real-time display, water-tight. Mine's going in this spring when I get to the campground.

I don't use washers on my terminals. Just another layer for corrosion to take hold of.
Ya, thats how I looked at it also. Im going to leave the lock washers for now and see how they do, I really liked how they felt tightening up, I think it will help them from lossing up over time If it doesnt give a corrosion issue...
Ryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #73
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Corrsion is in the hands of the owner.........
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #74
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Well, got everything done today and went for the first drive. I wanted to be conservitive for the first while to give the brushes some seat time, I prob. drive about a mile at half throttle Id quess 15-18 mph then back to the shop and felt everything for tempeture. I ended up making my cables out of huge 2/0 rather than 2g...... just because; Im a drag racer and I believe in over doing most things I suppose. Any way the wires, solenoid, and controller were literally still Cold to the touch, but I could smell burning paint real strong and the motor was warm to the touch but not to bad. Battery voltage was 50.1 at this time. I let it all cool for about a half hour then went for a short full speed run down the road and back, I wasnt very impressed by the torque but it gets up to speed pretty well, the wife has the gps this evening so I wont get to get an honest number tell later, Id quess 28-32 prob. in that range on flat ground. After that short run pack voltage was the same but the burn smell was even stronger and the motor felt hot, my hands were cold and I still wouldnt touch it for over about 3 or 4 seconds; I have no idea if this is normal????? I noticed the field coils were painted purple as well as the case so maybe the smell is normal and thats a break in smell, anyone know??

I put it on the charger for 12 hours like suggested in a earlier post a few minutes ago, yall think its still a good idea for these new batterys to charge that long tonight? Water level is still perfect in all 8 of them. If the motor issue is of no concern I will get a good honest gps reading tomorrow, other wise whats the suggestions?

I ended up finishing it all in full trim also before the test so it has that heavy *** back seat on it as well. It rode and stopped very well I was impressed for the most part, the speed could also poss. be faster than Im quessing Im pretty certain its well over 30, fast enough that the steering starts to feel a bit touchy, it has zero slack in it so the smallest input really makes the cart move. I post a picture or two of the finished product tomorrow also. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #75
PLUMQUICK
Gone Wild

What are your controller settings? Do you have stock field map set? Sounds like the map setting or the motor is pulling too many amps, it also could be a bearing going down..........due to motor being dropped by carrier. I'm not that up on the Altrax controller settings, because I don't sell them. If the motor is pulling that much heat........I wouldn't run it until you find the problem, shunt motors can and will super heat real quick. Maybe someone else can tell you more about the controller settings with the Altrax.........
PLUMQUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #76
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMQUICK View Post
What are your controller settings? Do you have stock field map set? Sounds like the map setting or the motor is pulling too many amps, it also could be a bearing going down..........due to motor being dropped by carrier. I'm not that up on the Altrax controller settings, because I don't sell them. If the motor is pulling that much heat........I wouldn't run it until you find the problem, shunt motors can and will super heat real quick. Maybe someone else can tell you more about the controller settings with the Altrax.........
Well the box is still in great condition I looked at the corners to see if it appeared to have been rolled around or dropped and it does not. Im not sure as to what all the settings are for sure and wondering if Altrax keeps up with them and can answer that question if thier called? When I ordered it I ask them to [per PQ advise] set it up to stock field map settings along with a 24-48v range and full power. I know no more about it than this so Im not sure. I dont have a laptop nor a cable to plug into it to see what it is, heck I didnt even see a port for it to plug into. If they keep up with that data per customer order I may be able to call and see what they set it up as....

I rode it today to the mail box and back maybe 500 yards each way, and felt everything for heat; all was good. Zero detection of any heat from anything besides the motor and it was pretty minimum. I think to be safe I'll let it rest tell Monday and give Altrax a call and see what they advise. I gps it on the way back from the mail box and it did 32.6 mph on flat ground, although I did it for a very short period of time. Thanks

Tags
03 ezgo pds conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO