lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Default Total Charge III ... trouble

I just got an old EZGo charger. It was supposed to work fine. The DC pug had been slightly damaged, looked like the White (neg) contact had arced and melted some plastic. I took the plug apart, cleaned it up and repaired. I took note that the White wire was the Negative, and the Black wire was the Positive. After reassembly, I plugged it into my cart, and another instant arc and same damage, also damaging my DC jack in my cart. I am wondering if the plug had been disassembled before, and the wires reversed. Is this correct: White wire Negative, Black wire Positive?
Thanks All.
Soldat1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge III ... trouble

Yes you were reversed. White is positive in DC and black is ground.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

OK, thanks, Scottyb... good to know! I dissasembled, cleaned and repaired, and put it back together with White Positive and Black negative. Powered the charger to A/C, pushed the reset on the charger (felt a small detent/click), and plugged it in to the cart jack. No arc this time, but nothing happened either; no movement on the charger's amp meter, no hum from the charger, nothing. Guess it's a bad charger... Thanks for the help, tho...
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

what is the voltage on the battery pack? That charger has to see a minimum of 24 volts on the pack to turn on if it's an automatic charger........
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Battery pack voltage was 37.2. Yes, I was aware that the pack had to have a certain minimum voltage in order to kick on; thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

open up the charger and locate the black relay on the PC board. disconnect the 2 wires going to the relay and connect them together. Plug the charger into the cart and then into the wall and see if it starts working. the reversal of the wiring may have fried the PC board relay.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Ok, opened it up and bypassed the relay. There was no apparent, obvious damage inside, and didn't see any signs that it looked like it had been opened in recent years. I also checked the Buss fuse, and it was ok. I plugged the DC line into the cart, and got a short "beep" from the charger, and a split second movement to the Amp meter needle, with it returning to zero. When I powered the charger to A/C, it began humming like chargers do, but the Amp needle pegged out to the Negative side, which I didn't like at all. I disconnected immeadiately, and saw no signs of arcing, heat, smoke, smell to either charger or cart. I tried it a second time, with the same results. I think something's really jacked up with this charger, and I've about reached the limits of my electrical skills level. Well, that's what I get for buying something from a pawn shop, but I will get my money back... Thanks a bunch for the help!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yeah, something is way off inside that charger... never had one go negative before.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Could be as simple as having the meter wired in reverse?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Could be as simple as having the meter wired in reverse?
I suppose it could be, but remember the charger was originally wired in reverse of the normal setup.... wondering myself if someone had wired this charger backwards because their cart was wired differently than normal.I would love to see pics of the inside of the charger as well as the recptical on the cart......

I know we could fix this given a little time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO