lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Air Cleaner Frustration

Allright, this is getting old ... Since my complete cart redo last year, for some reason the rubber boot from the carb to air cleaner keeps popping off, no matter how I clamp it or how much i tighten said clamp - today it popped off about a mile from home in a field, which of course caused me to suck all kinds of plant poop, pollen, seeds, etc into the carb so I was barely able to limp it home (where I'm sure I will find a healthy amount of it lodged in a jet when I pull and clean the carb, AGAIN) ...

Here's my question, I've all but decided to just go with a K&N style filter to solve this issue once and for all, but I like the quietness of the stock intake - has anyone found an aftermarket filter or ? that won't give me that cheesy intake whine that the cone filters provide? I'm going to pull the carb and try another, wider hoseclamp ONE MORE TIME but I'm relatively sure it's going to shake off (the cart sees more than its' share of off-roading, usually at imprudent speeds) - aaaaargh !!!!!

Leads and/or links would be greatly appreciated - thanks Guys!

Dale
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Air Cleaner Frustration

maybe duct tape around it would hold it?
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
rocko
Gone Wild

you could try and clean it up with some part and brake cleaner then apply some silicone and maybe use the widest hose clamp you can fit ----------- could the reason be that something is jumping around cause it is not tight or a bolt missing here or there
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I think that the issue here is that you have lifted the cart 5 inches which has effectively lowered the engine about 3 inches and changed the relationship between the carburetor and the air filter. If you look at the bottom of the air filter you will see that there is an angled tube which used to point at the air intake of the carburetor and is now misaligned. I have heard of some folks cutting this tube at the elbow to remove the bend and thus getting everything pointing correctly. I was able to take my air filter apart, connect the rubber hose to the carburetor then to the tube and then rebolt the air filter assembly. This way the strain on the rubber coupling was reduced.
I have to agree with you on the K&N filter noise. I put one on a turbo diesel RAM and every time the turbo kicked in I could here it loud and clear.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Dave (as always) - right on the money ... I've resigned myself (til now) to live with the partially kinked hose, but when I get to stomping around in the thick of things I guess there just isn't enough length left to keep everything connected once the swingarm starts using more of it's range of travel (and I messed with the angle of the filter elbow a long time ago just to get it where it is, which still isn't enough) ...

I found a pretty unique K&N style on Fleabay I may try, it's actually a cone filter reverse-mounted (?) inside a can of sorts (supposed to act as a sound buffer, I would assume) - the next option I may look at is finding a replacement tube of sorts to connect the OEM filter and carb (something with a bit more length that won't kink and will still give me some slack)

For now, it's another hoseclamp and crossed fingers :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO