lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
nck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default broke piston

i just purchased an ez go textron
s#550594
manu# J2989
head # ec25-3pg

i believe its an 89 marathon. i was trying to start it and it was turning over fine then stopped suddenly. i took the head off and then the cylinder housing. i guess i broke a ring and it hung on the cylinder wall openings. my question is how hard is a new piston to install? does the piston pin just push in or does it press in? should i put any oil in the block? im new to this two stroke stuff. thanks in advance.
nck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: broke piston

if the cylinder walls are not scored, you can get away with just a new piston and rings. pretty easy. need to lightly deglaze the cyl., then turn the cyl. over and making sure the arrow on top is pointing to the flywheel, oil and squeeze the rings one at a time and push and wiggle the piston until it is in the cyl. an inch or so.there are e clips retaining the pin in the piston and it is free floating, not pressed. put one clip in before installing the piston, then holding the cyl/piston align it with the rod end. be sure the clips have the open ends either up or down, just not sideways. some people install the piston on the rod first, then slide the piston in the cyl., but i think that's too much work and you need a ring compressor. the only oil you need is on the cyl. walls annd rings. if you are still using the original oil pump, ditch it. most failures like this happen from a pump failure. just premix to be safe.

and welcome to BGW.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
nck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

what gas oil ratio should i use. i have seen everything from 128:1 down to like 80:1. help and i ordered the top end rebuild kit today. cylinder needed replaced as well. thanks. and am i right on year and model?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

ezgo recommends 40/1 for the first tank and 128/1 thereafter. yes on the year and model.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
nck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the help. next question is when i un hook the auto oiler can i leave off the linkage that went to it?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You can leave it but it is easy to remove the linkage, the pump and the reservoir and it makes the engine look a lot neater. You must however blank off the pipe that used to feed oil to the elbow just behind the carburetor, if you fail to do so the engine will suck in vast amounts of air and not start. You can either remove the banjo bolt and replace it with a regular bolt or cut the plastic pipe and run in a screw that fits tightly. A small amount of mastic will seal the deal.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
nck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok i removed the resivor, pump, and extra linkage. the banjo bolt is a m6-1 so i just put a bolt in it. thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes indeed that will do it
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO