lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another battery break in question

I installed new batteries, (4)12v, and after a charge and rest the pack shows 50.8v. Is this normal? I have only charged them three times and only let the pack get down to 85/90% before throwing the charger on. Should I drain them further before recharging?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another battery break in question

Read the stickies for state of charge readings and another for battery break-in. You can take readings just after charging but i think it is better to wait a bit for them to settle.

Edit: oops i missed where you said "and rest"
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
Read the stickies for state of charge readings and another for battery break-in. You can take readings just after charging but i think it is better to wait a bit for them to settle.

Edit: oops i missed where you said "and rest"
I haven't taking readings right after a charge yet and only after a rest. I think this is a normal reading but just curious. I have been following Scotty's break in method but I haven't as of yet ran them down to 75% before charging. I'm wondering if this is a must or not since I have only gone down to 85/90% thus far before plugging it in. I use it around the house and only on weekends so seat time isn't alot and wonder if I should just wait till I hit the 75% mark which may take two to three weekends of use before charging?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have read Scotty's break in method alot but as you can see I forgot about this sentence. Here is his quote......

New batteries are initially about 75% of their full strength. The following procedure will insure they reach their full potential. The 1st 10 to 20 complete charge/discharge cycles are critical to insure they reach 100%.

This explains my 50.8v reading after a rest.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I haven't taking readings right after a charge yet and only after a rest. I think this is a normal reading but just curious. I have been following Scotty's break in method but I haven't as of yet ran them down to 75% before charging. I'm wondering if this is a must or not since I have only gone down to 85/90% thus far before plugging it in. I use it around the house and only on weekends so seat time isn't alot and wonder if I should just wait till I hit the 75% mark which may take two to three weekends of use before charging?
Can someone chime in on the above quote? Just wondering if I'm only at 85/90% it's OK to wait to charge it until they reach 75%?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are fine. The statement was meant to emphasize not running the pack down too low. A shallow discharge to 90-85% capacity and recharge is fine...... the batteries can do that everyday for about 14 years according to Trojans technical info.
So shallow discharge and recharge, often.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car