lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
seulater
Getting Wild

Default Like feedback on "The Bandit" motor

Took my 2002 TXT Series for a ride through the snowy back yard today. I was a little less than impressed with the power it had to go through the snow, seemed a little limp with power.

I have to get a bit more nut that i have now without going to 42v system.
I was looking at plumquick.com motors and specifically "The Bandit" motor upgrade. Has anyone gotten one of these that could offer some feedback on it.

Thank you.
seulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Like feedback on "The Bandit" motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seulater View Post
Took my 2002 TXT Series for a ride through the snowy back yard today. I was a little less than impressed with the power it had to go through the snow, seemed a little limp with power.

I was looking at plumquick.com motors and specifically "The Bandit" motor upgrade. Has anyone gotten one of these that could offer some feedback on it.

Thank you.
I just installed one on a club car and so far I am only noticing a marginal improvement over stock with upgraded controller on both. Its a little faster and a little more torque, but I wouldn't think it would be the thing you'd want for plowing through snow. For me, I just wanted a refreshed stock motor, so it is working fine for my use, but for off road or mud/snow a torque motor is probably a better choice.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Thank you.
Unless you've got some tall tires on it, a bad/uncharged battery pack or some bad cables/connections/contacts, tire spin should have been the issue.

At 36V, the top speed is going to be about 12-14 MPH with stock tire height and gears, but even on dry pavement, the rear tires should spin if you block the front tires from moving forward.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

I have a bandit motor and was very impressed with the speed and torque. I have no problem breaking new trails or throwing my snow plow on and pushing some snow. Very nice piece for the money.
R8cer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
seulater
Getting Wild

Quote:
Unless you've got some tall tires on it, a bad/uncharged battery pack or some bad cables/connections/contacts, tire spin should have been the issue.

At 36V, the top speed is going to be about 12-14 MPH with stock tire height and gears, but even on dry pavement, the rear tires should spin if you block the front tires from moving forward.
It was a fresh charge on new batteries. On dry pavement it does good speed, but it seems to slow down more than i would expect going up slight hills. I have stock tires. Maybe the cold is affecting the max current draw ?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
It was a fresh charge on new batteries. On dry pavement it does good speed, but it seems to slow down more than i would expect going up slight hills. I have stock tires. Maybe the cold is affecting the max current draw ?
The AH capacity is rated at 80°F and is reduced by about 10% for every 20°F drop in temperature, however the max current draw is limited by the controller and the resistance in the high current loop, so it would have to be mighty cold (IE: Below 0°F) to keep a series motor from spinning the tires on wet grass.

That tells me there is excessive resistance in the high current loop, or the controller isn't being told to turn on fully, or the controller is sick, or the motor is sick and since the cart is running, I'm leaning towards one of the first two being the problem.

Also, the cart slowing down more than expected on slight hills indicates that having excessive resistance in the high current loop is at the top of the list of possible problems.

If any of the cables, connections or components are getting hot, they are defective and need to be replaced.

After a very hard workout, the motor may approach 200°F, but everything else, except the controller, should stay within a few degrees of the ambient air temperature.
(Most controllers have built in thermal protection that shuts them off or reduces performance if they get too hot.)

A PQ Bandit is an excellent and worthy upgrade, but to realize its full potential, the rest of the high current loop has to be up to par also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp vs Storage Capacity - Chart.JPG (40.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
seulater
Getting Wild

Thanks, It's fully charged right now. 23.2F outside now, i will take for a spin and monitor if anything gets warm or hot and make note of it.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
seulater
Getting Wild

FWIW, the motor is running cool. but the cables where they attach to the F&R studs are a little hot. I upgraded with battery cables to 2 Ga. those are all cold. So i guess i now need to find a 2 ga. set of wires for the rest of it. + I would like to get an upgraded F&R switch & solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO