lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G9/JG5 Pickup Coil Question

Yeah, and I need to figure out how to mount a ring like that on the clone to put that ignition on it. Maybe on back of clutch. 125 I'd likely buy a new one then you have something you can just plug in. I have looked for a system for a lawn powerband and not found anything, though imagine it is out there. It advances the timing full at 2500, a motorcycle will likely have a different curve as they rev more....if you can even find out the curve. Can find out with a timing light of course. If I put money into it I'd go with a DIY fuel injection with ignition in it, that would be nice.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Is your ignition mag on the clone, sho? Good ol mags were always pretty reliable as I recall.

A CDI was delivered today, a whole $5 delivered, LOL. Got another coming, matching cdi/coil, $20 delivered. Might have blown $25 but it'll be fun to see if I can get something working on cheap parts.

I'm replacing a couple O2 sensors on one of the vehicles here tonight & hopin that'll cure the "Check Engine" light that was poppin up all the time last I drove it. IF so, it's body & paint & sale time for the '02 Galant. On the good side, it fired on 1st revolution after droppin in a charged battery and it ain't been run for 6 months, not driven since 1/11 (I think).
pYr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Clone is a mag, but I rather the G9 ignition because it advances the timing. Zero timing at idle makes it start easier for the gen too. But hey, see what you can figure out. Timing advance does not make a lot of difference on these engines far as power, it does let it wind up a little better is all. I cut the head on the clone so it starts harder with the timing key.

Yeah I have a car project going right now too, still have to paint it after fixing one more thing.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Did you use the stock or offset woodruff? What do you calc the compression is at now?

Projects... I'd be lost without them, LOL. 4 boats (newest '93), this Mits, learning product photography, whole house water filtration (underground), building a car(boat)port w/shop at the end of it (sloped property), yada, yada, yada... I could type until I ran out of beer, LOL
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Finally got off my butt & tried the cdi/coil I bought online. No sparky. I guess the stock pickup coil (pulser) won't pass a signal that the lil chinese cdi can understand. Oh well. I'll find something else to use it on...
Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I was told I could run .060 on regular gas (so I did .050 to be safe lol, but don't know the actual compression), and I think you can long as you keep rpm up 2500 and better. I also run 4 degree key. It will knock at low rpm when you gas it if the valve lash is not tight making the compression release work well, or the clutch is engaging. I drilled the weights in the stock clutch as well as put a Umax spring in (stiffer factory yamaha secondary spring, yamaha has no primary spring) and it has helped. The 1.3 rockers make the comp release work even better so now its not an issue at all. Some cut .100 and run premium.

I've tried to find info on CDI/etc and pickups but hard to find info I can use. I have an o-scope I could test one with if I had the time. Comp is 8.2:1 stock.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like a pretty trick buggy ;) Sure wanna grab up a builder for myself soon, working on daddy's has got me hooked...

Yeah, info on the CDI stuff is scarce, I dang near broke my Google searchin for that stuff, LOL... No idea what the specs are on these little CDI boxes I got are but apparently they are GY6 compatible so maybe those specs would give some insight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha