lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Old Foogie
Not Yet Wild

Default Fireworks when I reinstalled my batteries after winter break

Hello all. I am hoping someone can help with where to start troubleshooting my cart. It is a 2007 EZGO with a 1 year old Alltrax controller. At the end of last year's camping season I removed all of the batteries and brought them into my garage for the winter. A month ago I reinstalled the batteries and when I tried to make the last connection to the battery pack I had fireworks. There was no key in it, the parking brake was set and it did not try to move as if the motor got a jolt of juice when I tried to make the final connection. I used my voltmeter to check between my battery pack and the final connection and it has full voltage to match the battery pack.

I always take pictures before I take things apart just as insurance when putting things back together. Everything was reinstalled as it was last year when it was working. So I disconnected my headlight wiring and my dashboard voltmeter wiring and just had the two wires from the controller to connect. It still has full pack voltage as if the key was in the pedal pressed.

I could sure use some help on how to troubleshoot this thing.

Thanks
Old Foogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fireworks when I reinstalled my batteries after winter break

Sparks are fine, in your case. You have a precharge resistor that keeps the capacitors in the controller charged. If the batteries are removed, the precharge resistor to the caps can't work.

As long as it's a momentary (hard to judge) spark, you should be fine.

Does it work?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Old Foogie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Yurtle!

The cart is out at our campsite and I will not be able to try it until this weekend.

How do I connect the last wire without the sparks? Is there one of the terminals I could remove? When I first installed the controller last year there were no sparks when I made the connections.

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Old Foogie
Not Yet Wild

Would anyone know how I can reconnect my battery cable without the fireworks? When I installed the controller it did not arc when making the connection.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Gr8hntr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Do the positive first and then the negative last
be worth a try
Gr8hntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Old Foogie
Not Yet Wild

yurtle and Gr8hntr thank you! I removed the negative side cable, attached the positive side cable and then did the negative side. It works and the spark was almost nonexistent when I made the last connection.

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it is a pds cart make sure it is in tow before you mess with wires.. If you have an extra preload resistor you can use that between the last cable and stud for a few seconds. It will let the caps charge up then remove it and connect the last wire
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO