lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 EZGO RXV Stopping Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup1 View Post
Hello, thanks for reply to post.

So will a bad motor brake make the cart just shut off completely while moving.

I know the burnt rubber smell is the brake , but all seems fine until the cart just turns off and then brake locks up.
Yes, the motor brake can begin drawing too much current and trip a hard EM Brake OC Error, which will shut down your controller and apply the brake. If you let it cool, toggle the keyswitch off then on, it can pass test again and resume operation, until it overheats again.

A marginal EM Brake OC Error can chatter the brake and can burn out the brake control output FET in the controller. Been there, done that. Thank goodness for Eddie. Back then, his price for a controller kit was double what it is now.

There is a way to reduce brake hold-in voltage to reduce heat some, but it requires someone with a programmer. Where are you located?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Well that stinks.

So I guess I have to get motor brake replaced AGAIN and hope it was just installed improperly and keep fingers crossed that it works and don't keep shutting cart of and locking up.

If after install of new motor brake , and cart continues to act up , I guess I'll have to get a controller.

Sure stinks to spend money with process of elimination.

Would hate to do both new brake and controller and still have same issues.

Have seen a lot of forums that people have had same problem and have switched out batteries, motor brake , controller , brake solenoid, and harness & still having same issues.
teeitup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well that stinks.

So I guess I have to get motor brake replaced AGAIN and hope it was just installed improperly and keep fingers crossed that it works and don't keep shutting cart of and locking up.

If after install of new motor brake , and cart continues to act up , I guess I'll have to get a controller.

Sure stinks to spend money with process of elimination.

Would hate to do both new brake and controller and still have same issues.

Have seen a lot of forums that people have had same problem and have switched out batteries, motor brake , controller , brake solenoid, and harness & still having same issues.
I have a brand new spare motor brake, Curtis controllers, and an OEM Curtis handheld to help with diagnostics. That was why I asked where you are located. There are others on this forum as well that may be able to help you if you are too far away from me.

Bob
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

That would be awesome , but I'm in Charleston,SC
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That would be awesome , but I'm in Charleston,SC
Beautiful area. I have been there twice in the past couple of months. I must go back to near there again in the future. I'm still working on finalizing the details and timing of that trip. If there is anyone closer that can help sooner, please jump in. If not, I'll do my best to let you know when I know more about my schedule.

Bob
Old 12-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Bob, thank you so much for your response to my post and greatly appreciate your feedback.

I'm just really stuck on what to do to fix this issue.

Don't think I mentioned in my my earlier post , but had the cart at a ezgo dealer for a diagnostic and was told the batteries were bad and causing the problem of the cart shutting off and then motor brake engaging.

Hasn't cut off and locked up since I've had the new batteries installed but for some reason I feel that the new batteries aren't going to fix the issue.

You have posted a lot of knowledgeable stuff about this issue on the RXV and just want your opinion on what direction you would go.

1:The repair shop hooked scanner up and said the only codes were for a bad motor brake (Dah)

2: They load tested the batteries and said 2 were bad and should fix my problem and that the motor brake wasn't damaged enough to replace right now and that wasn't true I guess , since I still smell the darn thing and cart dragging a little.

Should I just replace motor brake and see what happens or would you throw the whole wrench at it.

Motor Brake
Run Plug
Brake Solenoid
Motor Bearing Encoder ( Saw this could be issue as well )
Controller
Wire Harness ( Saw your post about corrosion on the RXV)

Thanks , William
Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob, thank you so much for your response to my post and greatly appreciate your feedback.

I'm just really stuck on what to do to fix this issue.

Don't think I mentioned in my my earlier post , but had the cart at a ezgo dealer for a diagnostic and was told the batteries were bad and causing the problem of the cart shutting off and then motor brake engaging.

Hasn't cut off and locked up since I've had the new batteries installed but for some reason I feel that the new batteries aren't going to fix the issue.

You have posted a lot of knowledgeable stuff about this issue on the RXV and just want your opinion on what direction you would go.

1:The repair shop hooked scanner up and said the only codes were for a bad motor brake (Dah)

2: They load tested the batteries and said 2 were bad and should fix my problem and that the motor brake wasn't damaged enough to replace right now and that wasn't true I guess , since I still smell the darn thing and cart dragging a little.

Should I just replace motor brake and see what happens or would you throw the whole wrench at it.

Motor Brake
Run Plug
Brake Solenoid
Motor Bearing Encoder ( Saw this could be issue as well )
Controller
Wire Harness ( Saw your post about corrosion on the RXV)

Thanks , William
Hey there William

I would replace the motor brake, and make sure the bolts on that are not over-tightened. I would also recommend dropping 5% off of the hold setting for the motor brake to reduce heating there. That requires a programmer.

I would hold off on replacing the controller if you don't need it, but it might be a good idea to buy one at that great price and save it for later.

It's often the motor brake causing issues, if the batteries are in good shape. Especially with the symptoms that you mentioned.

The motor bearing encoder is not on a 2012, that is on the older RXV motors. The 2102 has an easy to replace motor speed encoder. If that was bad, it would just crawl along when it fails and it would have tripped an error code that the shop would have found.

Harness issues are actually more likely with earlier RXVs with Danaher controllers, or a conversion harness for the Curtis controller in the first Curtis controller equipped 2012s. They had more splices in the harness. The 2012 models with Curtis controllers and the full Curtis harness has very few splices, and those splices are better sealed. It can happen, but it is less likely. Battery acid getting into the harness can degrade the wire insulation. Baking soda and water makes a good bath for the harness to neutralize any acid residue, then rinse well with water.

Bob
Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Morning Bob,

Thanks again for your reply. I made a typo in original post. The cart is a 2010 not a 2012.

Is has the Danaher controller.

So I guess that changes a lot with trying to diagnosis some issues.

Sorry about the typo , so what would you suggest now.

Cart a brand new set of Crown batteries, just installed.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #19
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Bob,

Also I would love to speak with you over the phone for a quick sec if possible.

I can be reached at 843-261-0030

Thank You
Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Morning Bob,

Thanks again for your reply. I made a typo in original post. The cart is a 2010 not a 2012.

Is has the Danaher controller.

So I guess that changes a lot with trying to diagnosis some issues.

Sorry about the typo , so what would you suggest now.

Cart a brand new set of Crown batteries, just installed.
Yes, that changes some things. It requires a controller and harness swap for me to run diagnostics. I carry a spare harness for that, but it takes longer to prep for the diagnostics. It's good that you have a new set of batteries. You may have to consider that you very well could have a harness issue. Those Danaher harnesses are getting hard to find. They can be fixed or converted to work with a Curtis controller if you decide to upgrade. I converted a 2009 harness a few weeks ago.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO