lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36 volt reducer

A friend of mine is trying to put on a reducer to his ezgo series txt cart and is asking me questions....Like I know what I am doing...

The reducer is just for his lights.

He wants to use a simple on off switch to turn on and off the reducer thus turning on and off the lights.

Coming from the 36 volt pack, there will be an on off switch on the positive side going to the reducer. There is also a Negative from the pack that goes to the reducer.

If he wants to put in a fuse block on the 12 volt side of the reducer...

There is a positive and negative on the 12 volt side of the reducer that would go to the fuse block.

Should he also run a Negative from the battery pack negative directly to the fuse block Negative as well?

Should he be using some sort of inline fuse from the pack going to the reducer?

Also, this is a series cart with no run tow switch... When working on battery stuff like this... Is it best practice to remove one of the battery cables in the pack when working on a series cart for safety? I just know to always put a PDS cart in tow maintenance when working on it.

Thanks for the advise...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt reducer

If the reducer is not fitted with an activation wire (normally goes to the keyswitch) then the power will have to be interrupted with a relay.
So that's the first question. Is this a switched or always on unit?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The reducer he got just has a positive and negative to feed the reducer.

He did not want to hook up to the key switch and just wanted to put a simple on off switch on the reducer.

Can he just use a on off switch to turn on and off the reducer or he needs a relay?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
The reducer he got just has a positive and negative to feed the reducer.

He did not want to hook up to the key switch and just wanted to put a simple on off switch on the reducer.

Can he just use a on off switch to turn on and off the reducer or he needs a relay?

That's what I'm trying to determine.

Some reducers are designed to be turned on and off. They have a 5th wire like the unit I sell. This is designed to be used with the key switch but, it can be used with a toggle switch - even a light switch!

Other cheap reducers do not have an internal switch or 5th wire. THey have only 2 wires in and 2 wires out. These units are designed to be ON all the time and drain your battery pack down even when not in use.

Sounds like your friend has a 4 wire unit you will need to switch it with a relay or a high amp disconnect switch.

The 5 wire unit like I sell can be used with a 15 amp light switch or keyswitch.

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This friend I think is starting to get the golf cart bug and wanting to do mods to his cart.

He bought one of those cheap 36 volt to 12 volt 10amp reducers...To run his led lights.

If he wires up an on off switch on the 36 volt side...To turn off the reducer...How do you go about getting the right type of on off switch. Most of the switch I have seen at AutoZone are rated AC.

Do you need a 36 volt DC on off switch? Does that exist?

I just want to make sure he doesn't do anything that would be a hazard and melt anything or short anything...Or burn down his garage.

Can you use any of those AC or DC on off switches.

What size fuse should he use going to the reducer.

If the reducer dies and by all accounts on this forum...It sounds like it probably will, I will point him to order a reducer from cartsunlimited.

Thanks for any feedback information on the on off switch and fuse size for the reducer.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here's a link to Sergio's relay set-up (post #2).

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...cer-keyed.html

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
This friend I think is starting to get the golf cart bug and wanting to do mods to his cart.

He bought one of those cheap 36 volt to 12 volt 10amp reducers...To run his led lights.

If he wires up an on off switch on the 36 volt side...To turn off the reducer...How do you go about getting the right type of on off switch. Most of the switch I have seen at AutoZone are rated AC.

Do you need a 36 volt DC on off switch? Does that exist?

I just want to make sure he doesn't do anything that would be a hazard and melt anything or short anything...Or burn down his garage.

Can you use any of those AC or DC on off switches.

What size fuse should he use going to the reducer.

If the reducer dies and by all accounts on this forum...It sounds like it probably will, I will point him to order a reducer from cartsunlimited.

Thanks for any feedback information on the on off switch and fuse size for the reducer.

It does not matter about the AC rating. It will still work for DC. If it is a lighted switch with a 120V neon bulb in it, the light should not operate properly at 36 VDC, but the switch contacts would switch the power just fine. I would use a 10 amp inline fuse to be on the safe side. That reducer SHOULD draw 4 amps or less at full load, but they are not the best for efficiency. Pretty bad actually

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #8
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The reducer description indicates

Output Current: 10A 120W 20A(max)*

Does this mean on the 12 volt side, it will handle 10 amps continuous?

What does the 20A(max) mean?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The reducer description indicates

Output Current: 10A 120W 20A(max)*

Does this mean on the 12 volt side, it will handle 10 amps continuous?

What does the 20A(max) mean?
That means it can handle current spikes to 20A, 10A average or continuous. Loads like stereos can draw current with spikes in demand during music peaks. They are of very short duration, therefore not usually a significant portion of the average. But if there are enough spikes in demand, it will lower the overall continuous power that you can draw without overheating the reducer. Overheat shortens lifespan of the device, and will lead to premature failure. The low quality of those type of reducers dictate that you should consider the continuous rating as the max peak rating. Chinese manufacturers are notorious for rating electronic devices for much greater than they are really capable of delivering or performing at. It is a marketing ploy, because all they really care about is selling product, not customer service.

I toured many factories in China, and the products they manufacture for export to the US and other countries, are not even allowed to be sold in their own country because they do not meet their own quality control laws. They must travel to the US, buy these substandard products, and travel back with them in their luggage in order to get them for their own use.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #10
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the help.

The reducer was installed and seems to work.

As the sound of it on these forums, when the cheap one burns out...i will have my friend order a good one cartsunlimited.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO