lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Accessory Switch/SOC Switch

Question: I want to wire my 48v to 12v converter and my SOC digital meter to an actual switch, independently. Given i will be placing the switch on the wires on the 48v side, will i need a 48v switch specifically? I know most switches that are carried at the local store at mainly 12v, so i assume i will need to special order 48v capable ones, right?
LSU MykuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Accessory Switch/SOC Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU MykuL View Post
Question: I want to wire my 48v to 12v converter and my SOC digital meter to an actual switch, independently. Given i will be placing the switch on the wires on the 48v side, will i need a 48v switch specifically? I know most switches that are carried at the local store at mainly 12v, so i assume i will need to special order 48v capable ones, right?
You should be ok with a 12V switch. Switches are mainly rated for the amps that the contacts can safely carry. The voltage rating has to do with how far apart the contacts open when the switch it turned off. This is to resist arcing across the open contacts when a current flow is interrupted. This is more apparent at high current loads, so it's not usually an issue at lower currents.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

To be safe look for a 20a switch. Most switches will be 15a.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Much thanks to the both of you, i just ordered 20a switches. Given they are both lighted rocker switches, would it be okay to wire the ground for each switch to the same negative wire? I have one negative ran to the dash already for the SOC meter but only a positive wire ran to control the converter.

To clarify, I will have my 48v to 12v converter on one switch and my accessories on another separate switch. However, i wanted to share the same ground between both switches. Would that be okay? I don't want to cause any interference with the SOC meter. Thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Much thanks to the both of you, i just ordered 20a switches. Given they are both lighted rocker switches, would it be okay to wire the ground for each switch to the same negative wire? I have one negative ran to the dash already for the SOC meter but only a positive wire ran to control the converter.

To clarify, I will have my 48v to 12v converter on one switch and my accessories on another separate switch. However, i wanted to share the same ground between both switches. Would that be okay? I don't want to cause any interference with the SOC meter. Thanks
You'll need a seperate reducer positive and negative leads so that the voltage drop caused by the current of the reducer input does not affect your SOC meter readings. You can share with other accessory loads, just not a SOC meter, if you want that SOC meter reading to to be accurate.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

If those switches are just 3 tabs, then the light shares the same positive as the load.

You will need a resistor on the negative side so the light only gets 12v instead of 48v.

The best method is to use a 3.9kΩ x 1watt 5% resistor on the negative wire.

The other method if you have 12v batteries is to run the negative wire to the negative post of the pack positive battery.

In this case for safety, the wire should not be black and you should add a diode with the cathode pointing towards the battery post to make sure it can only sink and not source current.

The diode should be installed close to the battery.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

SOC meter, would it be best to wire directly to battery terminals or off the solenoid to only be on while running? If solenoid is best bet can you help me be certain i wire it correctly by explaining what exactly i am wiring it to on the solenoid? I don't want to screw anything up by wiring incorrectly. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, my meter is showing 44.8v or so when fully charged and still connected to the charger. Obviously something isn't right given the chart I've obtained off this site leads me to believe that would be much less than 10% SOC remaining. I simply wired the meter directly to the battery terminals. Positive on the battery on the passenger side of the cart and negative to battery closest to the rear of the cart(right in front of bagwell). The cart runs great and have yet to see the thing slow down or die while riding after 2.5 hours of off and on total driving in one day.

Any thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO