lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS Power/Torque Upgrade?

I have an EZGo PDS (36V) with a bad Alltrax DCX400PDS controller. I’ve considered just replacing the controller with similar… but I have also been considering upgrading since before the controller went bad. In my opinion, the cart was too fast for my needs as it is mostly used in wooded terrain. The cart also left a lot to be desired in power/torque in the steep terrain areas, and would drain the batteries pretty quickly.
I think I’d like to upgrade to 48V and try to get more torque/less battery drain (longer battery life) at the cost of lower top end speed which is also a plus in my opinion. I’m not sure what would be the best route/components to accomplish this and was hoping to get some advice from you guys with MUCH more experience in this area??
Any advice for replacement controller (and motor if necessary) and steps/parts required for 48V upgrade? Any and all help would be appreciated as I would like to get the cart back on the trail... but would much prefer better performance in the process.
ch0bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO PDS Power/Torque Upgrade?

How fast is (was) it now? 24mph? Faster? Your cart may have high speed gears. Those kill torque in trade for top speed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

eh, I really couldn't tell you exact speed... never 'clocked' it against a machine with a known MPH... but I don't think 20MPH was out of the realm of possibility... definitely too fast to be whizzing through trees and bumpy terrain

unfortunately now that the controller is fried I can't test it out without implementing some sort of fix... which leaves me further in the dark on which direction to take
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock PDS motor does not respond well to 48v. It does do well on 42v (7/6v). The stock motor makes 2.5 hp and is not considered an off the road motor for big tires.
For best results use the Admiral MOT-B2 8 hp motor with the new Alltrax XCT48500 contoller and 400 super solenoid, and 2g cable set. The new control is completely adjustable so you can set a lower top speed or better yet add the FN2 or FNKS speed control and switch speed and regen settings on the fly.

The new XCT controls are 20 years advanced technology wise compared to the DCX you are replacing. Go to this link to see 10 reasons (features) that make the Alltrax XCT the #1 golf cart controller choice today >>> http://www.cartsunlimited.net/about-...ntrollers.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

scottyb, I sent you an email...
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

what diameter tires are you using?...bigger tires mean less torque....

scottyB is giving you the best option for what you are wanting! good luck!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is your tire height? (Stock tires are about 18" tall.)

With tires taller than stock, you get more speed and less torque.
With tires shorter than stock, you get more torque and less speed.

As for battery pack voltage, the typical 36V pack in made up of six 6V-225AH batteries and the typical 48V pack is six 8V-170AH batteries. The range (distance traveled on single charge) is roughly the same on both of those battery packs. On the other hand, a 42V battery pack made up of seven 6V-225AH batteries has a 16.7% greater range than either of them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
coosa
Gone Wild

I just upgraded a 2008 PDS to 42 volts and it is a much stronger cart. There was a very noticeable difference in the way it climbs a couple of very steep hills. I have 22" tires and the cart would run 26 mph before the upgrade. I'm not sure it's any faster now but it sure gets to top speed faster than before.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO