lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
rssrthelegend
Not Yet Wild

Default '91 Club Car DS NIGHTMARE!!!

Belongs to my boss & he bought @ auction, would barely make it on a full charge from his shop to the house & back (total of approx 2-300 yards ) figured probably batteries. Flood #1. Then I come along "oh I can fix anything!" Moving on - definitely needs new batteries & tested solenoid-no good. He didn't want to invest in new batteries of motor was shot, so got solenoid,installed. Tried the bull sh** battery save crap, waist of time! Read a few blogs & most said to just go ahead & replace everything that was under water except motor, take motor apart, clean, replace brushes, maybe bearing. So beforeI even hoped on that yellow brick road I decided to just hook up 3-12volt batteries just to see. There is a very important lesson on the difference between car/golf cart batteries! Car bat. are designed to deliver a maximum discharge rate, high amperage, short period of time.
Golf cart bat. designed to deliver an extended moderate discharge rate, moderate amperage. Well new solenoid worked great motor spun like crazy in reverse, tried forward... nothing. Back to rev... sparks start flying, v-glide melting, all hell broke loose til i finally stopped, dropped, & rolled to slap the connection loose. Ordered new V- glide guts wiper arm assembly, charge fuse, F/R switch, micros, brushes, bearing. Pulled motor end cap & magnetic housing, armature was froze on shaft bad, so cleaned up armature, magnetic fields in housing installed new brushes & bearing & reassembled motor while waiting on the rest of parts.

Flood #2

Ok parts finally arrive cause Harvey delay, cart was on stands in rear so onward I pressed. Installed everything under the seat except wires & resistors, disassemled motor again to be sure. Not once have I been successful @ removing armature& i tried torching along w/ axle dropping... nothing! Got it all back together again for it to do the same up the drive & barely back before new batteries drained, only about 2mph top speed in forward floored & a little twitch in rev floored. Mind you this has been about a 5 month endeavor & my boss really wants this cart to run about his property, but the only thing left to replace is wires & resistors. Should i just bite the bullet & start looking @ the possibility the motor is bad ? I'M PULLING MY HAIR OUT! I'm going someone out there can throw us a bone & possibly a line on a decently priced used motor. End my insanity pls. I know if it is the motor, I'll habe to cut the armature off like the guy from this forum i read here earlier, what a shame. Any ways any advise helps @ this point. [emoji16] [emoji29] [emoji26] [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
rssrthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '91 Club Car DS NIGHTMARE!!!

Oh boy. You can keep banging your head against the wall but, it sounds like you guys are beating a dead horse. You have a good platform. My suggestion is to install a modern system and enjoy years and years of service from the old cart.

The resistor coil drive system is designed to go 300 yds down a fairway and then sit and cool off before continuing. Resistor coil speed control was developed in the 1930s and 40s and it is still used today in electric toasters.

We have been helping people convert these carts to solid state speed control for 10 yrs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
rssrthelegend
Not Yet Wild

So are these solid state conversion kits expensive & where do we start?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
rssrthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can find information on Scotty's website
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

This is a no brainer for me. You have the best platform (Club Car DS) and new batteries. I would install a new motor and upgrade to a controller as others have suggested.

Judging by what you have done so far it should be a breeze for you to do this!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Should have cut the loss and went with another cart. Crazy to dump that kinda money into a 1991 cart that was worth 250 bucks. A known running cart could have been had, and 48 volt, and electronic controller, for way less than what your going to dump into this cart. Someone wasn't thinking
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
migo
Not Yet Wild

I have a similar situation and i wanna go to the upgrade route. Where should I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by migo View Post
I have a similar situation and i wanna go to the upgrade route. Where should I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
You can find information on Scotty's website
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 AM   #9
migo
Not Yet Wild

i have another question, when i lifted my Cc DS 1992 electric on a jack and run it , I noticed that the passenger rear wheel only rotating full speed but driver side rotated slower and stop and go..Any hint please?

migo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by migo View Post
i have another question, when i lifted my Cc DS 1992 electric on a jack and run it , I noticed that the passenger rear wheel only rotating full speed but driver side rotated slower and stop and go..Any hint please?

This is normal operation for a vehicle with an open differential.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car