lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
oceantrav
Getting Wild

Default Can I wash my batteries/compartment ??

Did some off roadinf and it’s all filthy under the seat.

Year is 2003 if that matters

Is it safe to rinse with a hose, spray simple green, then hose off?
oceantrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I wash my batteries/compartment ??

Heres my folder so far that are all posts from members of this this forum
yea, its along one one but by what your asking , i think you'll need it

Unless you just recently cleaned them properly i would follow this. Otherwise spray away but Be careful not to spray water directly into electrical components like your speed controller.
Cleaning your batteries:... always use some kind of protective glasses / even sunglasses if thats all you have.
Always neutralize the battery acid first before rinsing off with water. You can use a mixture of baking soda and water. Use 1 cup of baking soda for every gallon of water. or get some battery acid cleaner from an auto parts store. Cleaning your batteries once a month is a good practice. If you minimize corrosion to the electrical system battery life can be increased and properly maintained batteries can last as long as 5 years or longer.
You will need a area where the cleaning will not stain anything or kill a landscaped area just to be safe
When using baking soda and water let it set for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off with clean water. Be careful not to spray water directly into electrical components like your speed controller. After rinsing if there is still deposits of battery acid spray again with the baking soda solution or cleaner and let it sit for at least for another 5 minutes before rinsing; repeat as many times as necessary. If there is still evidence of corrosion get some protective gloves and a stiff bristle brush and scrub the deposits off . These deposits on the batteries must be removed because they can cause your golf cart batteries to self discharge..

When cleaning, do not allow any cleaning solution/Baking soda or other foreign matter to get inside the battery cells
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The best advice I can give you is use a leaf blower and blow 99% of that nasty dust off the batteries etc.
Use a hose and soap and rinse and rinse and rinse and yee takes yer chances.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

This stuff works great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRC.jpg (24.3 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It does but you do not want to wash the speed controller and solenoid or the F&R. So cover these components with plastic bags and use the water sparingly followed by the leaf blower. If you must wash the speed controller use windex and a cloth. This works best in my experience.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
This stuff works great!
yep! that is what i use and the marine heavy duty corrosion inhibitor
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I've hosed off my batteries before. Follow above advice and cover your controller with a plastic bag. I even removed either the pos or neg terminal connection before spraying.

If you have terminals that are "foaming\crusting like a rabid fox" then you should remove each terminal, apply the stuff in my pic below. When applied to cover the terminal, wire connection, and nut, the crusting will stop.

This stuff has the consistency of a light grease. Works very well. As you can see in the pic...I didn't do a good job on two of the terminal nuts. Hence......the "V" shape from electrical current eating away. It took a good 9 months or better for that to happen. And yes, I check my water levels monthly and connections at the same time. The nut eating occurred "under" so I couldn't see this. (Maybe a dental mirror?)

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO