lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZ-GO Wandering at Speed & Rear Axle rotation

I did own a Marathon at one point that had considerable play in the steering. I found and greased all the fittings in the front end and it took out 75% of the slop... If you haven't already tried that, then have at it with a grease gun. $3 in grease made my 23mph marathon fun to drive again.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

IF you are certain front end is in alighnment (measured not eyeballed)and nothing is loose or sloppy like front end fittings or lingankage the only other thing that can effect how straight a cart tracks is caster. Caster effects the effort it takes to turn steering wheel also how it returns to center when released after a turn or it’s ability to stay centered when driving straight.
Since these carts have no caster adjustment I’m aware of. Not familiar enough to know if lift kits alter suspension travel or kingpin inclination witch would effect caster.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post some pics of the lift. Depending on how the cart was lifted could have an effect on the steering. Changing the degree of vertical angle of the king pins can alter steering geometry and stability. Like the difference in a stock motorcycle and the choppers with long front forks that change the "rake".
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Rooster good anology 👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have tried to stay out of most of the front end threads because I am no golf cart expert, but...….

Something to know about front ends is this..... EVERY LITTLE ADJUSTMENT MAKES A HUGE IMPACT. The reason we don't notice it on the slower golf carts is because it is all based on your scale of speed.

Caster angle- this depicts where the weight rides on the tire. if your caster is not set correctly it will make your ride feel very jerky and can make it overly responsive. The drop axle lift kits look they do not hold the caster angle as well as the drop spindle.

Toe angle- this can also make your steering feel kind of jerky, it will also make your cat wonder more. It can also create bump steer which I would assume is very dangerous in a golf cart at over 25+ mph.

Also, one thing I notice on golf carts is that the axle is every bit as wide or wider than the front ends. A wider rear end than the front end can cause some steering issues believe it or not. A small wheel spacer on the front can help compensate for this. It will also make the cart over all more stable.

Squaring the front to the rear end. Make sure your cart is square within it's self. Use string and see if your tires are all straight with one another. You can youtube how to do a 4 wheel alignment on your own.

There is more, but that is all I can think of for now.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO