lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
MrPham
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries dead

I was working on my 2013 TXT 48V for the last few months. I let the batteries get really low. Charger wont kick on now. Any tips on how I can get them charged? I dont have another cart I could "jump" with.
MrPham is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries dead

You can use a 12v car battery charger to boost the voltage on each individual battery until the pack gets enough volts for the charger to recognize it. Obviously, with a 12v charger on an 8v battery you wan't to keep an eye on things.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You’re going to have to charge them individually with an automotive type charger until you get pack back up to the minimum voltage for your 48v charger. I’d check the water level too. I know I’ve read to charge first, then top off, in normal circumstances, so they don’t end up overfilled, but I’d make sure they’re not too dry. We’ll see what the experts say about that.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
MrPham
Not Yet Wild

How would I boost with a 12v charger to a 8v battery? Wont have any issues?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I did this yesterday MrPham. Connect a 12 volt trickle charger to each battery. Watch the voltage with your voltage meter. You will have to unplug the charger each time you check each battery. Depending on your cart charger I would say you should get each battery to around 6-7 volts for it to come on. I would do as Orangeman says and make sure they are not extremely low before charging, then top off later. Distilled water of course.

Sadly, with anything mechanical/electrical etc. there is never any guarantee you won't have issues.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPham View Post
How would I boost with a 12v charger to a 8v battery? Wont have any issues?
You will have issues if you don't keep an eye on things. Obviously, chargers need to put out more volts than what it is they are charging. An 8v batt may need 10v to charge it from a discharged 6v back to 8v but the 10v isn't high enough to damage the 8v battery. A 14v car batt charger will also raise the 8v batt from 6v to 8v but the 14v is high enough to damage the batt if you don't make sure that the voltage doesn't get to high.

Just put the 12v charger on the batteries, one at a time. Turn it on and let it do its thing BUT check on it every 1/2 hour or so and, like Mooncrater said, check the battery to see how high it is. Once you get each one to 7 to 8 volts switch over to your cart charger.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
You will have issues if you don't keep an eye on things. Obviously, chargers need to put out more volts than what it is they are charging. An 8v batt may need 10v to charge it from a discharged 6v back to 8v but the 10v isn't high enough to damage the 8v battery. A 14v car batt charger will also raise the 8v batt from 6v to 8v but the 14v is high enough to damage the batt if you don't make sure that the voltage doesn't get to high.

Just put the 12v charger on the batteries, one at a time. Turn it on and let it do its thing BUT check on it every 1/2 hour or so and, like Mooncrater said, check the battery to see how high it is. Once you get each one to 7 to 8 volts switch over to your cart charger.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
MrPham
Not Yet Wild

What is the min voltage for the battery pack so they charger will kick on? I am about at 30 volts but the charger still blinks red 2 times when plugged in.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

About 30V is what 36V chargers need to turn on, so I would guess 48V chargers will need about 40V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
MrPham
Not Yet Wild

i get a few of the batteries up to about 7volts, they try to charge another one. Then a few of them will drop back to 4-5 volts...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO