lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
chieflbrown
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage drops

My cart all of a sudden started not functioning correctly. When I push on the accelerator the cart takes off at speed for a few seconds and then jumps on and off until it will not go any more. If I let it set for a couple minutes and push on the accelerator once again it will go then jump a few times and quit. I put a meter on the output cable on the controller and it is always at 36-38 volts depending on the charge. And after taking off the voltage jumps at lower amounts as it is jerking then the cart stops and the voltage goes to a constant 36.
Also I have the original accel pedal with the potentiometer that I got from you several years ago. Could it be that?
Any thoughts/ Motor/ maybe controller? As you can see I got the new controller in 2016. SR48500 400 amp solenoid

ADD
Scotty suggested maybe batteries so i went home and put a load tester on each one and they all tested good.
chieflbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage drops

Googling your controller, it sounds like you have a series cart. When it drops out, does the solenoid click when it goes then stops? You mentioned you have a potentiometer. Does your pot box have a four pin Molex connector between the pot box and the wiring harness? If so, I'd try removing it, spray contact cleaner, then plug/unplug/plug several times. If this fixes the problem, cut the connector out and solder or butt splice and heat shrink the wires.

If that doesn't do it, try downloading the Alltrax software and datalog while driving. That will allow you to see what throttle signal the controller sees, vs. output to the motor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
chieflbrown
Not Yet Wild

Ok my pot has two sealed leads coming out of the pot each has two wires inside that has female spade terminals . I did slide the terminals on and off of the controller to make sure they had a clean connection, no change. I put my hand on the solenoid while driving and no it did not drop out when i lost motion so I am looking toward the pot being bad( not sure what the inside is like I bought it from Scotty B about 6 years ago or so. The altraxx controller i also got from Scotty in 2016. I feel that maybe the pot is losing connection on the inside so I am considering buying the new accelerator that Scotty has on his web sight. Any other Ideas??

Thanks for the help
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

ScottyB can talk about the pot, but I'd expect it to last longer than 6 years, unless you live in a very corrosive environment - coastal.

The connector I'm talking about may not be present on a pot box cart, but for ITS carts, there is a 4 wire connector between the cable from the throttle box and the wiring harness. If yours doesn't have this, disregard.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
chieflbrown
Not Yet Wild

No does not have this 4 pin connector.
I use the cart for hunting so it has been in a lot of water and mud and stays outside under a cover.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try hooking up a laptop, and datalog, using the Alltrax software. Can show the throttle position, vs. controller output, among other things.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO