lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
GCManiac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need clarification on motor testing

Found this info in a thread on 92 Marathon and figured I'd test my problematic Marathon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

An ohmmeter from B+ to M- (disconnect wires from controller and attach ohmmeter to B+ and M- wires) will tell if you have continuity through the armature, brushes, f/R switch and stator.
Pushing the cart by hand will tell you if the motor/differential/axle/brakes are seized.
Gives you about the same information and is a lot less dangerous.
I disconnected M- and B+ wires from controller then checked continuity between them. Got nothing.

Previous testing seemed to indicate bad controller. (See thread on Started to reverse then quit ) Does no continuity mean bad motor as well?
GCManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need clarification on motor testing

That test is for a Series cart only and the FNR must be in either Forward or Reverse for it to work.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
GCManiac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Duh....think I tested incorrectly. Have continuity with it in Forward ! Not in neutral.
Correct in thinking for testing A1 to A2, S1 to S2 and all to motor case all wires to be disconnected at motor ?
Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
GCManiac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sergio, you are right. Was typing while you posted. Thanks !
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCManiac View Post
Duh....think I tested incorrectly. Have continuity with it in Forward ! Not in neutral.
Correct in thinking for testing A1 to A2, S1 to S2 and all to motor case all wires to be disconnected at motor ?
Thanks again.
If You leave the B+ and the M- cables disconnected from the Controller/Solenoid and place the FNR in Neutral, all motor posts will be disconnected from everything.

You can then run the continuity tests.

If You are going to mess with the Motor, make sure You use two wrenches (one to hold the nut closest to the motor body) so the motor posts don't turn.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
GCManiac
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Removed controller today and surprise,surprise.....something rattling inside. Looks like some transistors met their demise.
With the B+ to M- test OK (when done correctly )...is further motor continuity testing really needed? I suppose it won't be difficult with controller out of the picture.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO