lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help...Crown CR235 battery question

I know when I picked up my last set of lead acids (before lithium), the at rest V wasn't up to where it should be after a full charge and 2 hours of rest unplugged (nevermind 12). I did absolutely notice at charge # 10 or 12 the cart was a lot faster (more V) and peppier than before.

My batteries had been sitting on the store shelf for a while so I got them at a discount and so they would have self-discharged and sat. So my results may not be the same as anybody else's.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Could be. Mine were special order, and were same month. They did go over 100%, but I don't remember by how much, as it took an effort on my part to unplug my new (at the time) DPI that did float.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

According to the Crown CR235 Spec Sheet (attached), if Im reading this right, I need a charger that will charge at 25 plus amps but less that 60 amps. Again, the charger I am using is the FSIP Charge Plus High Frequency Charger and is working properly. Is it possible this charger does not put out enough amps to fully charge these batteries? Please educate me on this so I can figure out what need to de to get them to 100% vs 80-85%.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crown CR235.pdf (799.6 KB, 0 views)
jcassell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassell1 View Post
According to the Crown CR235 Spec Sheet (attached), if Im reading this right, I need a charger that will charge at 25 plus amps but less that 60 amps. Again, the charger I am using is the FSIP Charge Plus High Frequency Charger and is working properly. Is it possible this charger does not put out enough amps to fully charge these batteries? Please educate me on this so I can figure out what need to de to get them to 100% vs 80-85%.
First, I'd look at a SoC chart specifically for Crown Lead-Acid Wet-Cell Deep Cycle batteries since the chart posted earlier in this thread is specifically for Trojan Brand deep cycle batteries.

The attached PDF is for the care and feeding of Crown deep cycle batteries. Their SoC chart is on the last page and it indicates 100% SoC is 6.30V, which would be 37.8V for a 36V pack.

Charging guidelines EV battery applications are on next to last page.

-------
looks like your CR-235 batteries might be in better shape than you think, but I'd email Crown and ask them their opinion on the SoC voltages you are getting and whether the FSIP charge you have is satisfactory for charging their batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deep-Cycle-Product-Support-Broch.pdf (1.32 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #15
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

Just an update. Was going between the Lester Summit ll 650 watt and the 1050 watt. Talked to Crown Battery rep and after looking at all the specs for the batteries and the chargers, he told me the 1050 watt charger would work best as it puts out more amps as required by the batteries. Got it and chargers like a champ. Charges the batteries right into specs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jcassell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassell1 View Post
Just an update. Was going between the Lester Summit ll 650 watt and the 1050 watt. Talked to Crown Battery rep and after looking at all the specs for the batteries and the chargers, he told me the 1050 watt charger would work best as it puts out more amps as required by the batteries. Got it and chargers like a champ. Charges the batteries right into specs.
I am glad to hear that your new Crown batteries are charging for you now that you have up sized your charger. From your experience, it appears that your previous charger at 15 amp output was under sized for your 235 amp hr batteries.

From the Crown technical information that JohnnieB supplied, Crown Battery recommends chargers that are programmed to deliver 12 to 18 amps per 100 amp hr (at 20 hr rate) of battery capacity. For your 235 amp hr Crowns, this would be a charger rated for 28 to 42 amps ... which is likely larger than most (if not all) golf cart chargers on the market. Your 1050 watt Lester Summit II is rated for 25 amps at 36 volts (nominal) and appears to have sufficient amperage to get the job done

Perhaps a lesson learned for other BGW members, if your charger is on the smaller side, in some cases you may need to upgrade to a higher amperage charger to sufficiently charge you batteries.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO