lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Beacon
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Changing gears in 2013 RXV

Hello Guys and Gals.....Iv recently picked up a 2013 RXV from a guy who owed me some cash. I have been a CC guy for a long time but really like this RXV, Im looking to change the gears and would like a little advise from some of you who have done this. I searched for a while but couldn't find anything on how tough it really is?? Im a handy guy with all the tools im sure. My local dealer said he would put 8:1 gears in for $900 but I found them for $300ish online, now I know there are parts and labor but it seems a bit high to me?

Any advice would really help, and if there is a post that I cant find a link would be awesome.

Thank You
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Changing gears in 2013 RXV

Stock gears should be like 16 to 1 so dropping to 8 to 1 is a big difference. What speed are you looking to get ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Beacon
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in a Golf Cart community so it will be street only and there are no hills in FL where I live so as fast as it will go. Just not sure how hard this will be to do myself or should I pay to have it done?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine would run just under 24 with 21" tires set to freedom mode with the stock gears. There are others on here getting close to 30 with bigger tires. Any faster than that and it is time to start looking at better brakes. That will be tough in an RXV.. IMO of course. Changing the gears out shouldn't be too bad but I would not drop to an 8 to 1. I think it would be too much strain on the controller and they are not cheap for that cart. The 2Five runs I believe a 14 to 1 and can push speeds up above 30
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Beacon
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I asked that question to my local dealer and he said gears would not effect the controller at all. I agree that anything over 30 runs the risk of braking issues.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

your dealer is an IDIOT, plain and simple, walk or run and never look back, a gear swap is a pretty straight forward job. and if you are mechanical type, should not be a problem
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Barksdale
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My local guy said it would be $600 and I could expect speeds of over 35mph. He did say I would lose the low end torque.
Barksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I asked that question to my local dealer and he said gears would not effect the controller at all. I agree that anything over 30 runs the risk of braking issues.
If they told you that they worry me.. How can it not ? It takes horsepower and torque to turn the wheels and get/keep the cart moving. That number is set based on the controller and motor. Changing the gear ratio effects how much power it needs as the speed increases as well as resistance. It will run faster than it does but I think the controller would have heat issues and possibly burn up. That is also roughly a $1000 part
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Beacon
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea I thought $900 was crazy....I think ill be doing it myself...and 35mph is about what im looking for!!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Barksdale
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Yea I thought $900 was crazy....I think ill be doing it myself...and 35mph is about what im looking for!!
What is your tire and wheel set-up? Are you going to lower it?
Barksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO