lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
leeman57
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replacing controller

I need to replace my controller since the reverse does not work on my 2007 TXT pds. What I need to know is if the Alltrax DCX400 controller is a proper replacement for the original controller and will this fix the reverse problem?
leeman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacing controller

Welcome to BGW -
The Alltrax 400DCX and HD 200 solenoid is an excellent combination for the EZgo PDS cart. This is probably the best deal and the biggest bang for the buck in all of the cart world for performance improvement.
And yes it does fix the OEM design weakness. 4g cables suggested throughout
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman57 View Post
I need to replace my controller since the reverse does not work on my 2007 TXT pds. What I need to know is if the Alltrax DCX400 controller is a proper replacement for the original controller and will this fix the reverse problem?
Have you tested to make sure your fwd/rev switch is not faulty.?
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
leeman57
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply and for the heads up with the 4 ga. I read earlier that when one change his controller for the DCX400 he experienced more speed and torque. Is this normal?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
leeman57
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have not tested the switch, what is the easiest way to test. If I switch it to reverse and the backup horn works is that sufficient?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and for the heads up with the 4 ga. I read earlier that when one change his controller for the DCX400 he experienced more speed and torque. Is this normal?
About 25% more of both.

Going from the stock 300A controller to a 400A will give you about 25% more low end torque.

A stock PDS limits the motor RPM to about 4400 (18 MPH o stock tires), and a DCX lets the motor spin to the max RPM that it can obtain at the voltage applied (about 24 MPH with a 36V battery pack).

Quote:
I have not tested the switch, what is the easiest way to test. If I switch it to reverse and the backup horn works is that sufficient?
If the beeper sounds when the F/R rocker switch is in "R", the controller is aware it is supposed to be in reverse. Sure sounds like a bad controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
rib33024

Now i have thought about this for a while but never tried it, can you wire a toggle switch to the black and white wire on the controller F/R wires, and wire the switch to the good post on the controller and make the cart go in Forward and reverse until the controller craps out for good, it should work, and it will give you a little more time on the half bad controller. Now i don't know if this will work just thinking out loud, if any body would know if it would work would be JohnnyB.... or should i delete this post and stop thinking out loud
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Now i have thought about this for a while but never tried it, can you wire a toggle switch to the black and white wire on the controller F/R wires, and wire the switch to the good post on the controller and make the cart go in Forward and reverse until the controller craps out for good, it should work, and it will give you a little more time on the half bad controller. Now i don't know if this will work just thinking out loud, if any body would know if it would work would be JohnnyB.... or should i delete this post and stop thinking out loud
I finally figured out you were talking about the F1 & F2 cables.

You're on the right track, but have the way the motor/controller work a little wrong. Both the F1 and F2 terminals are good or the cart wouldn't go forward. To reverse the direction a sepex motor spins, you have to reverse the direction of current flow through the Field windings, which is basically the same way it is done in series wound motors.

You can add an external F/R switch to the Field cables using a DPDT switch as shown in the drawing below. The battery would be the F1/F2 terminals on the controller and the motor shown would be the F1/F2 studs on the PDS motor.

Fortunately, the field current is typically less than 30A so a DPDT with a 50A contact rating ought to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200856132346_DPDT.JPG (22.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
rib33024

Got ya, i was thinking you could switch the black and white F1 F2 wires on top of the controller with a switch and it would work , if you did something like this would you have to flip the tow/run switch to shift to F and R
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Got ya, i was thinking you could switch the black and white F1 F2 wires on top of the controller with a switch and it would work , if you did something like this would you have to flip the tow/run switch to shift to F and R
Yes. You would effectively be disconnecting/reconnecting wires to the controller.

Tags
alltrax dcx400 controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO