lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
974door
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 Headlight Key Switch....

Last night I purchased an aftermarket headlight kit for my 2009 EZGO. It comes with a push pull switch and I really don't like it. My question, is there a special hey switch that I have to order to be able to turn my lights on since I have the push button shifter in my cart? I haven't taken it apart yet to see what I have back there, but I saw a wiring diagram that shows wires between the key switch and the selector switch.
974door is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 Headlight Key Switch....

EZGO produced about a half dozen models in 2009, with at least 3 different electric drive systems and some gassers as well, so it helps to identify the year, body style and drive type when asking questions.

The push button shifter doesn't ring any bells, perhaps it is a rocker switch next to the keyswitch. If so, you might have a "2009 TXT PDS".

If it is a TXT with a PDS drive system, a three position keyswitch was used in carts with factory lighting. (Off - ON - ON w/Lights)
https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Ig...roduct_id=1860

IT also come in a unique key version. just change the G01 in the part number to G03.

BTW: The direction selector does not connect to the keyswitch. That is the factory installed SoC meter.
See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyswitch wiring PDS.JPG (92.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If it is a TXT with a PDS drive system, a three position keyswitch was used in carts with factory lighting. (Off - ON - ON w/Lights)
My '07 TXT PDS came with a push/pull switch for the lights. I changed out the on/off key switch for the Off/On?on w/lights. I leave my cart parked in a public area at the lake during the week and I didn't want kids turning my lights on. I also got the switch with a unique key so the other EZGO fleet keys wouldn't work.

Also make sure that your lights are grounded to the battery pack and not the cart frame.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
974door
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome. thanks for the info. I meant to say toggle switch for my shifter.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974door View Post
Awesome. thanks for the info. I meant to say toggle switch for my shifter.
Also note that the key switch with lights has four terminals, two for the cart and two for the lights. They are separate circuits because the cart is 36v and your lights are 12v. I am sure you knew that but just wanted to mention.

Just do a web search for "EZGO key switch with lights" or "EZGO unique key switch with lights" and you will find lots of sources.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
974door
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Also note that the key switch with lights has four terminals, two for the cart and two for the lights. They are separate circuits because the cart is 36v and your lights are 12v. I am sure you knew that but just wanted to mention.

Just do a web search for "EZGO key switch with lights" or "EZGO unique key switch with lights" and you will find lots of sources.
I did not know that, but it makes since. I am just starting to get into this. So the 2 for the lights would be like a power in power out set up?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974door View Post
I did not know that, but it makes since. I am just starting to get into this. So the 2 for the lights would be like a power in power out set up?
Yes, it just breaks the voltage going to the lights. When you turn the key to the right to the first detent it turns the cart on. Turn it more to the right to the stop and you get cart on and lights on.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
974door
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

awesome. thanks for the info. I just ordered one.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would recommend using an ohmmeter when the switch arrives to verify which two contacts have continuity when the switch is turned one click, those two will be for your cart wires. The other set of contacts should have continuity when the switch is moved two clicks (light position), those are for your lights harness. I use those for my carts, they are much nicer then the crappy push pull switch.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO