lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 YDRE G29 Just Stopped

Hi,

First post so thanks in advance. I have a 2007 Yamaha YDRE G29 48 Volt Cart. Playing round yesterday and half way through after my X Bogie in a row, jumped in and hit throttle and it moved about 6 inches and stopped. No noticeable noise or sounds occurred just took the wind out of the cart and now it is windless. Does not run. First time this has ever happened. Had to get a tow home.

Initial inspection shows lights, brake lights, and horn work. Volt meter has gone from a couple of bars down to 100% pegged and is stuck there no matter what I do (this has to indicate something?). Have checked all fuses (three of them) and they are all good. Voltage on batteries good. No reverse tone when switching from FWD to REV. No clicking sound that used to happen when I step on throttle or remove my foot from throttle.

Reading on forum indicates one of a couple possibilities.
1) Throttle Position Sensor
2) Solenoid
3) Controller

I'm going after the Throttle Position Sensor this AM to determine if that is cause. Where do I find the Solenoid and the Controller so I can test? There is a box called a ServiceMate SM2412-15 but I believe this is just a voltage stepdown and not a controller? Wires go from there to the Hitachi DM430-06A motor. I do not see anything else visible.

Any help in locating would be appreciated.
ski-vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2007 YDRE G29 Just Stopped

Did you try to cycle the Run/Tow switch? It sounds like it thinks it's in tow mode. The controller and solenoid are behind the run/tow switch. I would guess that your controller may have failed. Does not sound like bad batteries but check all of your connections. You are right that the box you looked at is your voltage reducer. You have to remove a top plastic cover to get to the controller / solenoid. It's on top behind the seat.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Role
Gone Wild

Definitely check run/tow switch
Role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Yes cycling run/Tow switch to Run provides those results.

Found the area for the controller and solenoid. If I was a little more limber I might have seen they were tucked under there but thank you that I do not have to get contorted. I have to remove rug, windguard, seat belts to get to the top plastic cover to remove. On my way to doing that. I'll keep post updated with what I find. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

There is power to on/off switch and Run/Tow Switch. Solenoid appears to be fine with my limited knowledge of testing. No clicking going on but no power/voltage getting to solenoid during throttle depress. Looking to locate Throttle Position Sensor to test but don't know where it is located and what I may have to remove to get to it. Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

So as Volt_Ampere points out above, it might be controller. The volt meter is pegged at 100%, no noise/sound when switch placed in REV, and no power to solenoid when throttle is pressed. From what I have read all of these items are controlled by the controller. Last question before I purchase new controller, is there a way to bypass solenoid and put power directly to controller and see if motor runs or is there a straight forward test to know that controller is DOA? Thanks again for help and support.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can bypass the controller and test the motor but there is no easy way to test the controller. Your symptoms sound like a failed controller to me. I would take the opportunity to upgrade to a good aftermarket one rather than replace it with one from Yamaha. I put an Alltrax in mine and it's an easy swap because Alltrax makes one especially for the Yamaha Drive. (YDRE) The connectors plug right in. I got mine from Scottyb on this site. (Carts Unlimited)
Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Do you still have the stock motor?

Which model did you get the 300 / 400 / 500?

Did you get fan option?

Did you replace solenoid also?

What were your results cart wise ie more tork, better hill climbing, etc...

Thanks for your input...
Old 04-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I smoked the stock motor with the Alltrax 500 Amp controller (dialed to 400 Amp). I got the 500Amp which comes with fan. I got a heavy duty solenoid. (Package was from Scottyb) I now have a D&D motor, Alltrax controller, Lithium Leaf batteries. I have the top speed set at 25 but it would easily do more. It has way more torque than stock. I have standard wheels,tires and 9:1 gears. Motor is only turning 4500 at 24MPH.
Stock torque was not very good because of the high speed gears and the weak stock motor. It was fine on level ground but it had trouble starting on hills on the golf course. Now it's the best performing cart on the course.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. Very, very helpful. Will review options based upon your input and will hopefully have my cart back on the road in no time.

Will be in need of batteries in another year. Have been reading other threads about Lithium. I think it is the way to go. Will be interested in how these hold up especially in the AZ heat which seems to destroy everything at an excelled rate. Thanks again!!!

Tags
48 volt won't run, g29, volt meter, ydre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha