lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
milwaukeevtwin
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring 12 volt lights to 48 volt cart

Have a 2007 Yamaha electric cart. Wanting to install under carriage lights. Will I need to purchase a 48 to 12 volt reducer? Or can I just wire to one battery? Never did on a electric cart and wanna make sure to do it correctly. TY
milwaukeevtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Wiring 12 volt lights to 48 volt cart

You want to install a reducer, or alternatively a small 12v battery that you would charge and wire separately from your 48v pack. Wiring to 1 of the batteries in your pack will cause premature degradation to that battery. There are many existing threads and posts on the subject.
Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Do it the proper way and get the 48v to 12v reducer. Buy one that includes a key switch wire to turn the unit off when the key is off..it also prevents someone from leaving the lights on when they put the cart away. As already mentioned, only using one of your 12v batteries will really drain it and negatively affect the carts performance. under the cup holder assembly there are two wires going to the key switch, a red with orange/yellow stripe and a red with white stripe. you want to tie into the red wire with a white stripe (it only supplies voltage when the key is on)
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Agreed with everyone above ^^^. Wire it to the WHOLE pack and get a converter. Picking one battery will cause them to drain uneven and ruin your pack. I attached a picture of the one I used on my cart. Worth every penny. Has remote on/off and memory wire (if you are installing radio down the road)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 to 12.jpg (198.6 KB, 0 views)
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
Mrtosh
Not Yet Wild

Out of curiousity, with the memory wire do you have to worry about parasitic draw? I'm assuming you would since it has some power going to it for memory.
Mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

This was an old post, but to answer your question, the memory shouldn't draw enough to be concerned.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha