lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
wamp98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO rear differential question

Hello to all. I am building my first cart, and have run into a snag hoping all you experts can help. I have an ezgo gas cart that I have installed a 440 snowmobile engine in. I have the motor alligned, and am using the stock snowmobile clutch on the crankshaft. The differential is marked ME29. In order to make the cart go forward, the lever has to be in reverse. Will this differential work that way? Also, it seems that I am getting very little speed at the rear wheels in both forward and reverse. The motor revs fine, and the pulley on the axle spins like crazy, but the tires are not moving very fast. What does the small shaft coming out of the top of the differential do? Is this a high/low, or neutral, or what? It won't turn or shift at all? Any help will be great!
wamp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO rear differential question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamp98 View Post
Hello to all. I am building my first cart, and have run into a snag hoping all you experts can help. I have an ezgo gas cart that I have installed a 440 snowmobile engine in. I have the motor alligned, and am using the stock snowmobile clutch on the crankshaft. The differential is marked ME29. In order to make the cart go forward, the lever has to be in reverse. Will this differential work that way? Also, it seems that I am getting very little speed at the rear wheels in both forward and reverse. The motor revs fine, and the pulley on the axle spins like crazy, but the tires are not moving very fast. What does the small shaft coming out of the top of the differential do? Is this a high/low, or neutral, or what? It won't turn or shift at all? Any help will be great!
the small shaft is for the governer! why do you have to run in reverse?? can you post a picture
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: EZ GO rear differential question

wamp98. Need pics.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello wamp98 and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

I have to agree about getting pics of it, never heard of anyone who has done similar swaps having to run the rear in reverse on an ezgo. on some club cars you have to do that
The speed issue could be a belt thats to long. most carts with sled engines will fly.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It sounds like the snowmobile engine is turning the opposite way, They is why you need reverse to go forward. When I 1st put my Ski Doo engine in my Marathon I didn't have any power. I used a muffler off a motorcycle. I put the ski doo muffler on & had lots of power
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56servi View Post
It sounds like the snowmobile engine is turning the opposite way, They is why you need reverse to go forward. When I 1st put my Ski Doo engine in my Marathon I didn't have any power. I used a muffler off a motorcycle. I put the ski doo muffler on & had lots of power
yep, the muffler/chamber is a big deal with 2cycles
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
wamp98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry guys for the delay, pics are on the way. Thanks much for the info about the governer shaft. That's a relief. I have not actually drove this yet to actually say that it is slow, but while up on jack stands, and the tires just didn't rotate very fast. The belt tension is one of the issues that I am trying to figure out. The motor mounts I fabricated allow for alot of adjustment in the tension, so I can keep trying till I get it right.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
wamp98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, so I know I am failing you on the pics, but should have some here tonight of the build. I have been checking the threads, and see some people are removing the governor shaft from the differential. Is this for speed/torque, or just to get unnecessary parts out of the way. Another question is how difficult is it to weld the spider gears in the rear end to get rid of the one-wheel-peel. I have put the "Lincoln Lockers" in trucks before, but never messed with the cart diff. Has anyone done this, and any luck? Thanks! (EZGO cart, 440 Kaw engine from an Arctic Cat snowmobile, with ME29 rear diff)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
I have been checking the threads, and see some people are removing the governor shaft from the differential. Is this for speed/torque, or just to get unnecessary parts out of the way.
They have been known to fly apart for excessive RPMs and cause damage to case or gears

Quote:
Another question is how difficult is it to weld the spider gears in the rear end to get rid of the one-wheel-peel. I have put the "Lincoln Lockers" in trucks before, but never messed with the cart diff. Has anyone done this, and any luck?
Yes, people do it all the time. Inside the case it's (the carrier) more or less the same as a truck would be only smaller
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO