lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
wheelchairman
The Prodigal Son

Default gearing dilema

Even though rebuilding my 18hp twin is a few months out, my dilema of gears is a big concern

I have a 2005 yamaha pro hauler 1000. Basically its the yamaha version of the workhorse. It has 4 wheel brakes, 357cc, now has 26" tires clutch kit and came factory with 15:1 gears. Honestly right now I have no idea of my rpm but I guess it to be low 4000's and can climb most things that I aim at.

This 18 will be fully built and I'm affraid that it will have too much power with the clutch kit and gears to keep the front end down on a big hill climb. Do you think I should look into HS gears in the 8:1 ratio or just stay as is? I don't think 12:1 would offer much benefit so who knows. Currently I run around 25mph and would like to see 35+ the best way to do this will be gears but then will I still be able to power through ANYTHING?
wheelchairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: gearing dilema

Due to the length of the vehicle, and the weight of the cage ahead of the rear wheels, I highly doubt you'll go end-over-end backwards. But then again, I'm sure you try some pretty steep terrain and it's always better to be safe than sorry. I don't think you'll have any problem with power on 8:1 gears, but I think you'd be happier with the standard 11.4:1s out of a G14+ rear end. They aren't going to rob you of any power and the clutching you're looking at will get your top speed up pretty high too.

My $0.02...
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
wheelchairman
The Prodigal Son

ya with the wheelbase I'm at it is MUCH steadier at angles than a cart but honestly not much weight is over the front. yes the cage helps but tubing doesn't weight much

I'm thinkin of that when we do all this since I will be makin my own mounting kit I will just make a new swingarm and use it to move my wheelbase back about 3 inches. If i decide then that Its good on any uphill but want more speed I will swap gears
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

With those torque gears and everything else, you will be able to spin that motor from 42-4400 rpms. And safely with the rev kit...

I say get rid of the clutch kit, and keep the gears. With high speed gears and an 18 on your cart, I don't think you will have 35 mph speeds becasue it is so heavy. ( remember, my frame is aluminum) Good luck buddy!!
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

If your going with a rev kit in the briggs you should be able to get 35mph without changing anything. my cart has 13.? to 1 ratio and it'll run 35 without the rev kit. 15 to 1 is not that big of a jump, just a few mph difference. I wouldn't change a thing unless your wanting it to run 40 mph or faster. The only times I have come close to flipping is when I have weight in the back of the cart. with no weight in the bed all thats ever happend were the tires breaking traction. The longer wheelbase of your hauler is not going to let you keep the front in the air, even walkntall can't get his workhorse to do wheelies and he's got a 200hp briggs in it. well it might not be that much hp but its more than enough to out run rhinos.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I can say, when I put the 18 in I pulled the torque spring out of my clutch
and went back to the stock spring. The engine provides LOTS of torque. I
am running stock gears and 24" tires, 35 + mph no problem.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Clayboy
Gone Wild

Keith, I think you will be fine with stock gears, That 18 will have plenty of controlable torque for climbing hills and such.
Clayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
wheelchairman
The Prodigal Son

Oh and I forgot to mention my clutch kit is welded on so it aint comin off when the nut flew off the input shaft instead of buyin a new shaft we just welded the nut to it.

It also crossed my mind to step up to 28" tires in the rear
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!