lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
buggiedl
Not Yet Wild

Default not getting gas through fuel pump

Hello I have 1980s two stroke ezgo and Iam not getting gas through the fuel pump I tor apart fuel pump and the diaframs look good. tryed to poor gas in carb and wouldn't try to start. even try to clean cab. if anyone have any ideas it would be great to know thanks
buggiedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: not getting gas through fuel pump

Hi, On the fuel pump, you have a vacuum line from the pump to the motor. If this line has an air leak, the pump will only pull the air. Be sure that hose is good. There's another hose from the fuel tank. If that leaks, it will draw air. If the third line leaks, it will be fuel. Be sure your fuel tank has a vent that is working properly, usually in the cap. Check the fuel level while you have the cap off...A plugged vent will create a vacuum in the tank the fuel pump can't always overcome. The fuel filter should be replaced and assure the direction of flow is correct. With all this, if you don't have fuel, you probably need to test the compression. Low compression, the fuel pump won't work and the fuel will not be drawn into the fire chamber.
Another thing, if you put fuel in the carb it should start or fire for a second(s).If it doesn't you may have another problem. Check the compression. Low compression, no draw to the fire chamber. You could shoot some starting fluid in there and if it pops or starts, then you know you have spark. Let us know what happens.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
buggiedl
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: not getting gas through fuel pump

Thanks for the info! I don't think theres a vacum line to the fuel pump.Theres only a inlet and a oulet. I am not sure but tell me if I am wrong can it use compression to activate the fuel pump? The fuel tank is cracked so I just stuck the inlet to the fuel pump in to a gas can which makes sense for it not to work because it probaly needs to create a vacum in the tank
I amtrying to figure out if it runs or not and what parts I need to get to get it running. I got it for free thanks again for replying I am going to hook up a compession gauge to it do you know what the compression should be? I "ll try starting fluid
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Is this a pumper carb with the fuel pump as part of the carb? Can you post a pic of the fuel pump?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi,
I didn't realize that model has an engine mounted fuel pump. Something didn't sound right to me....If it has inlet/outlet only and is mouted to the engine, then it won't have a vacuum hose. Holes in the fuel line will still allow air on the intake side of the pump.
I had to test a pump today on an old motor. It wouldn't draw from the tank either. I had a funnel that a fuel line fits into. I connected that to the intake of the pump, disconnected the discharge, added a splash of fuel into the funnel and cranked the motor. This will should allow the pump to pulse fuel out the discharge. If it doesn't the pump is not right or bad. In my case the tank was plugged, and the pump was good. Since this is a 2 cycle, what is your source of oil. Is the oil pump still working?
Some other time, when you're not handling gas, check for spark. (if you haven't) That will give you a better idea of what you have to do.
Let me know what it does and we'll go from there. I'll be around here.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi,
Is that pump on the motor, carb or ? I was thinking the 4 cycles pump.
Which one is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAApump.jpg (67.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Tony it is funey when you think about it, I don't know how old you are but these carts can be way before our time both age and experiance but the basics are always the same.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm almost 50, but never really looked at carts before the golf course. 12yrs.
I raced and tuned 2 strokes as a kid, but they're gravity fed! No pump.... I know how they work, but have never worked on a 2 stroke cart. I'm glad you came along to help
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
buggiedl
Not Yet Wild

the pump is on the motor had it does have spark and the mixer don't work so I been mixing 50-1 and it looks like the first one on your pic
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK. that pump works with a plunger that is moved up and down causing the diaphram to move. There are one way valves at ea. end. The intake you should be able to pass air in and not be able to suck it out. The exit (pump) side should allow air out and not back in.
If either of the valves don't function the pump is NO good. So, it has two one-way valves and a diphram that can go bad.
If you clean it good and blow all the fuel out, you can test it with your lips. I had to do that today on a twin to check the pump. It was good! Now I have dirt in the carb instead.

That pump should have 2 valves, some designs could use one 1, as long as the fuel will travel one way only, it should work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO