lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default charger or obc or both?

Hello all,first time poster here.this site has been very useful.
ok 1998 club car 48v.Got what i thought was a good deal for upstate Ny. $650 and they said it all worked.The batteries were stored in their house( i carried them all out from a heated area) There was no maintained charger on them.They are 1 year old and were put in the house in October 2010.
I brought it all home ,put the batteries in and checked them. 4 were at 7.35 and 2 were at almost nothing.i put a 6v charger on them all and got all batteries to about 7.35.pack reading was 45 .Plugged in my charger and nothing.Thought my charger was bad so went and borrowed one from a local cart shop.Plugged theirs in and nothing.Reset the ocb with the required.. pull neg line,key on,switch to rev,push brake,ect...It worked!Got up to 51v.tried my charger and nothing. put theirs back on but it only went to 5-8 amps or so.I took the cart for a 5 min ride and it works great.Checked pack when i returned it was at 49.5 Next put my charger back on and nothing.Checked the transformers and all the wiring.
Next I by passed MY charger relay and it worked.Got pack up to 51v.So i turned of the charger and put the relay back in line.Plugged in charger and it just hummed.
Ok ,next I by passed the obc with a jumper from the black wire to#1 ground.it worked.obc bypass and charger relay by pass ,charger is charging above 15. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.DO i HAVE 2 PROBLEMS OR AM I CREATING THEM.Sorry for the Dear Abby letter.
Confused in NY
joez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: charger or obc or both?

Sounds like your OBC may be bad but not sure if you had OBC and relay bypassed at same time?? Do one step at a time, OBC bypass to #6 ground ( you had stated #1 battery ground ) NUMBER 6 battery is rear one under drivers side seat for proper ground.
Remove OBC bypass and then try bypassing relay in charger for operation.
BY THE WAY WELCOME
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply,
yes I tried with just the rely bypass and it only hummed.The obc bypass is to the main ground on drivers side rear.I also tried with the obc bypass and the charger not and that did not work.For some reason it only works with both bypassed.Its on now and charging at around 9.5amps and the pack voltage is at 56v.should i stop at 60v?
Joe
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh yea one more thing I noticed that may have a effect is that some of the batteries have continuity between the neg and pos post and some do not?Should there be continuity between the two battery posts?Would this indicate a bad battery?
thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

new update, cart was driven for about 20 minutes sat night and it works fine.
Put in garage with no charger connected. Sunday morning pack voltage at 50.5.
Hooked up charger and now it will work with charger relay bypassed and obc not bypassed?? Charging at 12amps.Checked it 20min later and its still charging and pack is up to 54.6 with charger connected and running.What the hell is going on? any feed back would be appreciated!
also does anyone know if these batteries are supposed to have continuity?
I will try and get a different club car charger ,but its not easy for me to find one I can borrow.
Should I replace the relay?
I checked the diodes for continuity and I got nothing in any direction.(not sure if i was doing this right.i have a older charger and the connection plate is square with 4 connection points.i disconnected each wire one at a time and put one tester lead to ground and one on the terminal and got nothing in either direction.
If the diodes have failed would the charger still work when the relay is bypassed?
Sorry for all the questions guys .I'm trying to avoid the cost of the repair shop if at all possible.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the battery tops are wet this could be giving you continuity reading. Continuity in a battery pos to neg is a bad thing... so hopefully you just need to use some baking soda and water to wash the battery tops?

Yes replace the relay in the charger, meanwhile let the jumpered charger take the pack up to 58 - 60v.

This will help the batteries but it is not the proper type of 3 stage charge the charger will give once repaired.

good Luck!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info.I will try the relay first.i will also try cleaning battery top and hope for no continuity.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

1. clean batteries first
2. get neighbors charger and jumper just obc to see it that works .
if yes then U need both.

PS, the fuse at the back of the charge recepticle for the OBC is OK , right ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
joez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Gleemo
i'm trying to locate a charger and will update as soon as i find one.Hopefully soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car