lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 marathon throttle cable adjustment

It sounds like you tackled the governor but to be sure you have it adjusted with enough slack that it does not interfere right away. You should have a bunch of slack like close to a couple inches in the governor cable. Mine is a 88 however and not sure how close they are in comparison. Also on many small engines some throttles have a internal spring (not really but kind of acts as one) to assist on closing. Not sure if theses carbs have that but if it does it will not close all the way without some spring assistance. When you have it adjusted to were it does not close all the way does it still close fairly easy with your finger or is it a dead stop like your idle screw is in the way? If it closes easy just take a lighter spring and find a spot to hook it up to assist closing. If you have to make a tiny bracket to make it happen so be it, it will solve your problem. Only other thing is your sure your cable is not binding in any way to were it rebounds or slightly kicks back causing this problem?
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
dan161
Getting Wild

I'm not sure what you mean by slack in the governor cable. On my cart this is also the throttle cable. There is only a small amount of cable exposed on both ends so not sure where the slack would be. There is nothing binding up and yes it only takes a very light amount of pressure to close the carb butterfly the rest of the way. I tried the spring idea but didn't have any spring that was light enough. Even the smallest spring I had was to much pressure to allow it to open very far then.
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Then your setup is different than my 88 as I have a separate cable for my throttle and separate cable for the governor. Any ma and pa hardware store will carry a lighter spring. I would suggest going and getting one.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
branman1971
Getting Wild

Club Car

Hey Dan,

I have a 1990 too and had the same problem. There is a bracket that holds the throttle cable before it hooks to the linkage that connects to the carb. Mine was bent by someone way forward or backwards, don't remember which, but I think it helped me when I straightened it out. I was thinking about your problem and I think that you could possibly adjust the nut that controls when the ignition is engaged, which is where the cable connects to the foot pedal plunger and it pushes a small switch that fires the ignition. Adjust the carb to where you are getting wide open speed and then back the ignition switch off untill you get no more backfire when let off. I am no golf cart pro but this would have been my next plan of attack if I didnt fix mine with the bracket adjustment.
branman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
dan161
Getting Wild

Branman, I will have to reexamine the bracket tonight. I looked at that and didn't see any obvious bend or out of alignment issues, but I'm not real sure exactly where it is supposed to be. Might try tweeking it. I don't want to mess to much with the adjusting where the micro switch is for the ignition. Even if I have it kill the ignition quicker but the carb isn't closing all the way yet, as soon as I push the pedal and it reignites the ingnition then bang....I get a backfire as it was pulling in unburnt gas since the carb wasn't closed. Will try the bracket thing though since the guy before me had the motor out and body off. Its entirely possible that bracket may have gotten bumped. Thanks
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #16
Flushers
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, did you have any luck getting it figured out. Im having the same problem. I removed the the oil injection system and now I cant get my butterfly to close all the way. Is it the linkage? or just a bad carb. im considering a new car, Only $26 on ebay. Let me know. Thanks.
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO