lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2024, 10:55 PM   #1
mrhi
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Tomberlin 48v horn relay?

Hello all, i have a 2010 Tomberlin EMERGE 48v cart. I upgraded my horn because the stock one was wimpy, and now whenever i use it, the lights dim and it is now also weak. Does anyone know of a relay i can wire up to pull power straight off the batteries so it dosent do that? I need a way to step it down individually so it dosent go through the main converter. I am running 48v lithium battery swap. Any help is appreciated.
mrhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2024, 09:12 AM   #2
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 Tomberlin 48v horn relay?

Lot of ways go to about this.

You could add a small lead acid battery or large capacitor to your 12v system to help stabilize the voltage.

You could install a second 12v DC DC converter dedicated to just the horn. Standard car horn pulls around 10amps so it's a good idea to power it through a relay and not off a switch directly. Not sure why your switch is being fed 48v, maybe factory wiring is like that. But if you are modifying it, could feed the switch 12v instead.

There are 48v coil relays available too. About $10 on Amazon.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 09:10 PM   #3
mrhi
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for miscommunication, the horn switch is already being fed 12v from the stock voltage converter, but that converter is also powering all other 12v accesories. Do they sell a small converter that you can wire up straight to the battery on a relay so that there is no delay when you hit the horn button? Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2024, 07:37 AM   #4
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

The delay in hearing the horn is because the DC DC converter wasn't already powered on, so your push button is turning on the DC DC through the relay which then powers the horn.

You could wire that 2nd DC DC converter to turn on when you turn on the key, then have your horn button activate a relay that sends power from that already on DC DC to the horn.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #5
mrhi
Not Yet Wild

Thats smart, thanks man

Tags
electrical, horn, relay, tomberlin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin