lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken/Stuck Driven Clutch

I've got a 2001 Club Car DS, bought both new clutches. i've gotten the secondary off and changed out just fine, however, the driven/main clutch is jacked up. i got the bolt off, and used a clutch puller bolt but the bolt head broke off with a slight turn from me. I'm not sure if it was defective from the dealer or not. But now i've got a broken bolt stuck in the clutch and can't get the clutch off still or the bolt out? Any ideas on how to get the clutch off?

I can actually still drive the cart with the bolt stuck in it believe it or not.
Joerob25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Broken/Stuck Drive Clutch

Sorry this is the main "drive" clutch. I have the new clutch so i'm keen on saving this old one but i don't want to damage the shaft getting the old one off but i don't care if i have to destroy it either, just want it off and my new one on.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Broken/Stuck Driven Clutch

Three or four jaw puller would be one option. You might be able to rent one from your local NAPA or whatever you have in your area. A hydraulic puller would be better but I don't see those much these days. Those clutches can be very stubborn at times and there seems to be a lot of posts regarding broken clutch removal tools. Maybe the Chinese are knocking them out with substandard materials and the sellers of the tools are unaware ? IDK but there are a fair few stories such as yours right now.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have access to a welder, weld a nut to the broken bolt. the heat will also help to loosen it. If no welder, pick up a set of " E - Z Outs " and drill though the broken bolt and then use them. Welding a nut on is a much preferred method of removal, though!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

fastcarter: ive got a bigger 3 jaw puller but the pulley is so close to the engine i can't get the lips of the fingers to go over that to pull it out.

also when i drive around on the cart, the clutch stays fixed in one position the entire time. It's one speed when you hit the gas....GO!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Broken/Stuck Drive Clutch

fastcarter: ive got a bigger 3 jaw puller but the pulley is so close to the engine i can't get the lips of the fingers to go over that to pull it out.

also when i drive around on the cart, the clutch stays fixed in one position the entire time. It's one speed when you hit the gas....GO!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

anyone use the 2x4 method before? How does that work?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

got the old clutch off with the 2x4 method! How easy! Thanks for the reads and comments guys, this is an awesome site......
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the 2x4 method
Hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

I took a small 2x4 about a foot or so long and put the the flat side on the angled side of the clutch and gave it a good two wacks with a big hammer. Rotated the clutch about 1/4 and did it again and kept going around until it finally started moving then slide right off. I didn't beat it hard but good firm hits twice and rotate 1/4 about 15 or so times and it came off with no issue. Patience worked and the new clutch went right on with no problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car