lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
jrs06
Not Yet Wild

Default secondary clutch issue making noise

Hi new to the forum. I have a 1983 Yamaha g1 gas cart. My problem is in the driven clutch I think. My question is are the two side of the driven clutch supposed to run parallel with each other or more like a wedge at wide open throttle. also when I start off it make a cclumping noise I think it is because of the angle of the sliding side of the clutch it might be affecting the ramps. Thanks to any one who can help.
jrs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: secondary clutch issue making noise

The sheaves should stay aligned at all times, meaning if you measure width between them anywhere (like the outer edge) it should be the same anywhere around the clutch. Maybe your center bushing has gone out, that will make the inner movable sheave wobble, not good. The outer sheave is fixed it does not move.

You loose a lot of power and speed when the CVT is not working right, it pays to make sure both clutches are working properly and use a little lube once in a while. Don't lube it much it will get on the belt, its only a bushing in there not a bearing. One pump of grease in the fittings is all you put or use spray lithium grease. Also check the plastic pads that run on the ramps. Check the weight assembly in the primary.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
jrs06
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ... Took it apart found it was missing the key and the fixed side was junk. It was all worn out.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
jrs06
Not Yet Wild

How about them high torque springs do they work or is it a stock spring with a spacer to give it more spring pressure
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I don't like them but they do work. You should not need one on a stock cart unless you pull heavy loads or something, lifted carts can benefit from them. They make the engine rev more at lower speeds. Your spring may be worn out they lose pressure over time and G1s are not new carts. However the secondary spring regulates parts throttle shifting more than anything, a weak one will make the rpm drop a lot at part throttle steady speeds. The primary makes it rev (or not) on takeoff, determines full rpm while shifting (wot rpm) until it shifts all the way of course. I just put a umax spring in my G9, it is a yamaha spring for their utility cart that is stronger than stock. It works well but not had much time with it yet. Not sure they made one different for the yamahauler (G1 utility cart with box on it). The big aftermarket ones are hard to install. Make sure you get a good one if you do as some kill top speed. Best to get one recommended on here. Get a new nut for the secondary also and the spacer to go behind the spring seat. Some put a spacer behind the spring if that is what you mean, and they say it works great. Some say it didn't or the pvc they used got crushed. The aftermarket secondary springs are heavier/stronger/longer.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha