lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
FOURTECH
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: problems with 1998 ds

I finally took it out after changing the oil to 10w-30 (synthetic) and the light still comes back on. Any ideas?
FOURTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The only times I've heard of the oil light coming on is because the governor had been adjusted for more speed,
With a stock governor setting and 22" tires, your cart should run about 17 to 19 mph...

About how fast does your cart go?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

spring, the oil light is from the sensor, it is a level sensor, not a presure sensure . oil is sideal whenthe engine is straight, and iff you check oil withit inclined, it would be fine, would actually have morei nt the pan then is required, moore to the back, then inthe front wear the dipstick tube is. i would do lockmans set up to drop the front end down, nut you also have to modify the air intake elbo too, i kow theres stcickies or plenty of posts on here about that too, i think even lockman has the pictures and needed parts to do that oo.... amn lockman has a lot of stuff! like greg andtew45 onthe gas harley side! or scotty on theno go side.... i got to rember what gorno has....ohh hes good with yellow painted things! all i rember about him si ebveything is yellow!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
FOURTECH
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you again for all the response you guys are awesome. As far as the speed when I check on a app on the phone it goes 19mph. I heard from someone that if you run the carts for an extended period of time they shot them selves off, my does not do that. Is that true?

Dropping the front will be no problem, I can make a bracket at work. Should I make the oil pan (the whole bottom of the engine) completely straight?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's good to see you again ck!
but, dang man... how many times have I told you to use spell check!
Let me clean it up a bit, so others can understand it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
spring, the oil light is from the sensor, it is a level sensor, not a pressure sensor.
oil is ideal when the engine is straight, and if you check oil with it inclined, it would be fine,
you would actually have more in the pan then is required, more to the back, then in the front wear the dipstick tube is.
I would do lockmans set up to drop the front end down, but you also have to modify the air intake elbow too.
I know there is stickies or plenty of posts on here about that too,
I think even lockman has the pictures and needed parts to do that too....
d*mn lockman has a lot of stuff! like greg and tew45 on the gas Harley side! or scotty on the no go side.... (?)
I've got to remember what gorno has.... oh! hes good with yellow painted things! all i remember about him is everything is yellow!
I'm just messin' with ya ck... so no offense! I hope all is well with you!

4T... ckiguy brought up a point on why I'm trying lead you away from lowering the front of your engine pan right away,
with 7" of lift on my 07, I had to redo my intake tube and have brake cable extensions made,
Here are the 2 links:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...car-gas-2.html posts #13 & 14

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...-brackets.html

I don't think your 98 would have cable length problems, but, sadly... I did!

Let's start out by doing the easy stuff first before getting into any of that!
I still think that your governor has been messed with, and at higher then normally designed rpm's,
the oil isn't getting back to the crankcase fast enough to keep the oil sensor from triggering the light!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTECH View Post
Thank you again for all the response you guys are awesome. As far as the speed when I check on a app on the phone it goes 19mph. I heard from someone that if you run the carts for an extended period of time they shot them selves off, my does not do that. Is that true?

Dropping the front will be no problem, I can make a bracket at work. Should I make the oil pan (the whole bottom of the engine) completely straight?
You beat me to it!

1) if your governor has been messed with, most likely, so has the rev limiter, so it may not shut the engine down.
(19 mph isn't so bad... but, it may still set off the light!)

2) If you decide to drop the front of the engine pan, just drop it maybe an inch, or an 1 1/2"
(again... look out for the intake tube... the first link in my previous post!)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
FOURTECH
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I definitely would like to go with the easier option, I’m not too concern how fast I can go. Is their any way I can see if the governor was tinkered with? Would the bracket/air intake fix the problem if the rpm might be getting to high?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
FlyingRN
Getting Wild
Club Car

I would also be concerned with why the oil was overfilled in the first place. If it was over filled and smelled like gas, then the needle and seat in the carb are probably bad. The worst thing about that is the fuel will wash the oil off of the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls causing scoring and damage to the bearings. I would replace the needle and seat, change the oil and filter, and maybe even put in a manual shutoff valve in the fuel line to prevent it from happening again. You can thank our wonderful government and oil companies for the introduction of alcohol into our fuel for this problem. Oh yeah, this will also happen to any other engines that you may have, lawn mower, weed eater, boat, motorcycle, etc etc etc...
FlyingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
FOURTECH
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Gas in oil seemed like it was the original problem. Now that I cleaned the carburetor it seem like the gas no longer gets into the crankcase.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTECH View Post
I definitely would like to go with the easier option, I’m not too concern how fast I can go. Is their any way I can see if the governor was tinkered with? Would the bracket/air intake fix the problem if the rpm might be getting to high?
There's really no easy way to see if your governors been adjusted without trying to set it back to manufactures specs.
but, you could easily check to see if the rev limiter has been disabled...
the limiter is on the lower front of the engine just above the front oil drain plug,
check to see if the ground (brown wire) coming from it (supposed to be connected to the left mounting bolt) is disconnected or cut.

At #1 and #13:

If the ground wire is intact, most likely the governor hasn't been messed with.
THEN... you might want to consider lowering the front of the engine pan to keep the light from coming on!

Tags
club car 1998
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car