lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help! Pds dead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
jb, question, if the solenoid is bad wouldn't the voltage on B+ and B- be pack voltage before the circuit is activated and then once activated drop off quickly going through the pre-charge resistor ? Hence causing a 6 blink low voltage ?
It would be 3-5 volts (or so) less than pack voltage before the solenoid contacts closed, but yes to the rest.

However, we're not sure if the error code is a 3 or a 6.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #22
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Help! Pds dead!!

Ok. Here is where I'm at. I finally found my volt meter. I am getting 35. ?? Volts total. I am getting over 6 at all battery's except one which reads between 3and 4. I know my cart is capable of running on 48v. Can I just remove the battery that is reading 3v and add an 8v. or just add a 12v battery to the series to see if this is my problem? I have a spare 8v battery and a spare 12v. No 6v batteries other than the 6 in this cart. I would just do this to know for certain the battery is bad. If it is I will teplace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia088 View Post
Ok. Here is where I'm at. I finally found my volt meter. I am getting 35. ?? Volts total. I am getting over 6 at all battery's except one which reads between 3and 4. I know my cart is capable of running on 48v. Can I just remove the battery that is reading 3v and add an 8v. or just add a 12v battery to the series to see if this is my problem? I have a spare 8v battery and a spare 12v. No 6v batteries other than the 6 in this cart. I would just do this to know for certain the battery is bad. If it is I will teplace

Unless you have the Super-Duty solenoid (400A/1000A), the solenoid might be voltage specific, so I'd try the 8V battery.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #24
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Help! Pds dead!!

So other than the solenoid; everything else including the controller and motor would work with any voltage between 36-48 volts?
For instance: 37v, 38v, 39 volts etc. ?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So other than the solenoid; everything else including the controller and motor would work with any voltage between 36-48 volts?
For instance: 37v, 38v, 39 volts etc. ?

Yes.

Actually, anything from 24V to 48V is what the specs are for a DCX controller and the motor will operate over a wider voltage range than that.

Of course, the motor won't perform very well at lower voltages and will be easy to overheat at both lower and higher voltages.

I'm not suggesting you run with five 6V and one 8V, but I believe it would work well enough to troubleshoot the system.

To use the cart, all the batteries should be the same voltage and AH so they will charge and discharge evenly.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So it was a battery supply problem?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #27
georgia088
Gone Wild

Yes. It seemed to be a battery that was bad. Now I have a few questions. If the controller and motor are able to run from 24-48v then why would it not run with the bad battery? It still had 35v... I know I'm stupid when it comes to this but I don't understand.
Also, i want to convert my cart to 48v. I'm guess you guys are going to tell me to trash the batteries that are currently on it (5) good ones. And buy all new.
I know it's probably not a great idea but what if I start changing over to 8v batteries as the 6vs go out? Then I would eventually have my 48v.... Thoughts?

Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes. It seemed to be a battery that was bad. Now I have a few questions. If the controller and motor are able to run from 24-48v then why would it not run with the bad battery? It still had 35v... I know I'm stupid when it comes to this but I don't understand.
Also, i want to convert my cart to 48v. I'm guess you guys are going to tell me to trash the batteries that are currently on it (5) good ones. And buy all new.
I know it's probably not a great idea but what if I start changing over to 8v batteries as the 6vs go out? Then I would eventually have my 48v.... Thoughts?

I got good news and bad news. IF you do have 5 good batteries (not just 5 batteries near death not dead yet- lol) then you can buy 1 new or used 6v and continue using it while saving up for 6/8v and a 48v charger.

Bad news is you cannot mix 6 and 8v because they discharge and charge at different rates. You will kill them soon and have no batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes. It seemed to be a battery that was bad. Now I have a few questions.

1. If the controller and motor are able to run from 24-48v then why would it not run with the bad battery? It still had 35v... I know I'm stupid when it comes to this but I don't understand.

2. Also, i want to convert my cart to 48v. I'm guess you guys are going to tell me to trash the batteries that are currently on it (5) good ones. And buy all new.

3. I know it's probably not a great idea but what if I start changing over to 8v batteries as the 6vs go out? Then I would eventually have my 48v....

4. Thoughts?

1. Battery pack voltage drops while amps are being drawn from it and you had 35V when the cart was sitting still. When the cart started to draw amps to move, the pack voltage dropped below the voltage selected with the Under Voltage slider.

A bad battery can effect pack voltage in more than one way. The most benign is simply not supplying any voltage to the collective and the most malignant, from the voltage point of view, is taking away more voltage under load than it would have added when function normally. Apparently, you bad battery fell into the latter category.

2. You have at least two viable options. Replace all six 6V batteries with 8V batteries now, or replace the one bad 6V battery with a 6V battery, staying at 36V for the time being and making the jump to 48V at a later date.

3. Setting aside the fact that batteries with different storage capacities (AH Rating) don't play well together, you are suggesting increasing the pack voltage in 2V steps, so you will need to buy, borrow or steal, battery chargers for 38V, 40V, 42V, 44V, 46V and 48V.

Good luck finding 38V, 40V, 44V or 46V chargers.

4. Get two 6V batteries and a 42V DPI Accusense charger and one more cable. Then run at 42V until the pack wears out and go to 48V at that time if so desired. (The 42V DPI can be converted to a 48V charge by replacing the output board, which is about half the cost of a new charger)
Old 01-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
georgia088
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info! So, I guess what I need to know is what would yall do?
I bought the cart about 3--3-1/2 years ago. The batteries were used then. I don't know how long the guy said less than a year but I don't know that. I had to replace one battery about a year ago because a stick stuck through one of them. I would like to go to 48v the next time I buy a whole pack of batteries. Should I go ahead and do it now? Or just buy a replacement and ride it for however long the battery pack lasts?
Do the batteries typically go out one at a time? Or is it more likely for the entire pack to go out at once? I don't want to have to buy a battery a month for the next six months.... Thanks guys!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO