lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

Default Acceleration lag

I have a 1997 EZGO that I just upgraded to a 42volt system. I am using the XCT400DCS controller with upgraded cables and solenoid. Thanks Carts Unlimited!

I am having an issue with acceleration. Everything seems to work fine at full charge but when voltage drops I will be running along and then the throttle or acceleration just drops out like I let off the peddle then comes back again about 2 seconds later.

Originally, I thought it was a low voltage issue, however I checked that and it was set at 28volts for low setting. I put a full charge back on and everything worked fine until next charge. Now it is back to the accelerator cutting out then coming back when voltage hits anywhere from 38 volts to 40 volts. Not consistent when it will drop out.

Any ideas of what might be happening?

Thanks for any and all help
Huskerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Acceleration lag

It does sound now like you are hitting the low voltage cutoff. Try lowering the low voltage to say 20v for a test. Do you have an in-dash digital voltmeter you can watch an tell us at what voltage the cart is doing this.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

Yep, I put the free voltage meter I received from your shop. Thank you by the way. I put low voltage down to 22 volts the first time and had no problem until next charge.

ATER I changed low voltage...I noticed(after running batteries down) the meter would start to dip to 38ish and then stabilize at 40.2 or so and had no problem. No drop out. It worked great and I thought I fixed the problem.

THEN...After charging (after it worked fine) problem came back when voltage was around 40ish. (higher this time than original problem). It will drop upon acceleration and run at 38.2 just fine for about 10 seconds then drop out voltage will go to 42ish and power will come back again for about 10 seconds then drop out for 2 seconds over and over again.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

I lowered voltage down to 20 volts. Put full charge on cart and took it for a ride. After about 10 minutes acceleration would cut out again for about 2 seconds then ride smoothly again. Voltage this time was 45 volts at stand still and 42.1 at full throttle. It will cut out not as much at this voltage (3 times in about 15 minutes of driving). As voltage drops it seems to get worse.

It doesn't happen consistently until you get cart voltage down to 40 to 38.2 volts. Then it seems to happen about every time you get to max speed. It will accelerate up to speed than hold for about 5 seconds than drop out for about 2 seconds. Than hold again for about 5 seconds.

It did work without problem after the 2nd charge just fine like I said in earlier post but I noticed the difference was that when it dropped down to 38.2 volts it would stabilize (at top speed) and voltage would go up to 40.1 and hold constant there. That was a constant until I needed to charge batteries again.

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like your batteries are dropping too much in voltage under load. Get them load tested. One or more may be bad.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

Just purchased all new batteries which I know doesn't mean they are good so I had all batteries tested by the manufacture (Interstate) all tested ok.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How many volts are you running 36? 42? 48?
What is the pack voltage after sitting 12 hrs after the charge is complete.
What is the lowest reading you see on the meter when the cart is cutting off?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

42 volt system. After sitting 12 hours 44.5 volts. Lowest reading I saw was around 38.2 volts
Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

According to these numbers not a voltage problem. If the control is not giving any error codes then look at the throttle signal possibly dropping out or a bad connection in the high amp cables.

Does the solenoid click when the cart drops out? If yes this points toward an activation circuit or controller cut off problem.
If no, throttle signal or high amp delivery problem.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #10
Huskerfan
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Thanks Scottyb. I don't hear the solenoid click. So that points to signal or high amp delivery problem. So, I am not sure how or what to change and or fix in that case. Sorry I am new to all this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO