lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Wheel Spacers question

My local golf shop said they tear up your rear end and hubs. Is this true? I want 2" spacers on my lifted cart all around.
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Wheel Spacers question

True. Hubs & wheel bearings. Also increases risk of axle shaft failure.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Even with disk brakes and no hubs?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

Depends on what you call "tear up". As far as hubs, I don't know how they could hurt them. But they will obviously put more stress on the axles and bearings. I know a lot of people run them and don't have axle failures, so I guess the shafts are strong enough. But the bearings are not real beefy and they can fail in a stock cart, so I would assume faster failure with spacers.

Edit, one thing is often misunderstood about spacers. (Carts or cars and trucks) if you install wider wheels it has the same effect. For example, my truck has 14" wide wheels. They are 7" wider than stock. All of that goes to the outside. That moves the center of the tire from 3.5" out to 7". If I put the same tire on the stock wheel with a 3.5" spacer, the stress would be exactly the same.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep its true. It changes the center of the tire and them being wider gives the rim and tire more leverage to put pressure on the axles and bearings. May never have a problem and may have some sort of failure a year in. It depends on your luck and how much and how you use The cart I guess.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the info guys. I went 2" on the rear. I don't abuse my cart. I actually have narrow 23" tires. The ones prior were much fatter and on my last bearing change , the original 2002 still looked new. I went 1 1/2" on the front.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO