lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Estimated times

Here is a message thread i don't think I have seen yet.

In doing upgrades to a TXT cart, how long would it take you to do these task?

Some people have been working on carts forever and us newbies are still trying to figure things out.

This may also be helpful if us newbies end up having work done on our carts and not get taken advantage of... Like automotive dealerships.

How long in hours or minutes does it take you to:

1. Remove and then replace motor
2. Remove and replace a controller
3. Switch out all cables
4. Put on rear leaf springs
5. Front springs
6. Install front rear light kit
7. Remove rear body
8. Put on rear flip seat
9. Put on new windshield
10. Replace FR switch
11. Install lift kit

Add more if anyone is interested. Maybe state your experience level.

The more experienced people might share some tricks of the trade.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Estimated times

Skip as you probably know the devil is in details. For instance, 1. If you have a cart with no rear seat, flip to tow if needed, remove a main battery wire, remove access cover, mark and remove the 4 wires and speed sensor if equipped, remove the 3 bolts and slide the supported motor off the shaft. Anti seize on the input shaft and a new rubber bumper then reassemble. 30-45 minutes. Now. If it has a rear seat. Lots more things in the way. Or you find bad wires or motor is stuck or your wife keeps calling your phone or etc.. 4 hours plus.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

The biggest factor in all that stuff is how OCD you are. I moved a light kit from one cart to another. I spent hours measuring and marking with masking tape before cutting the body. I had to get the lights perfectly semetrical. Then I happened to go and measure the old cart holes. Who ever did it must have never measured at all. But I have to admit I never noticed it looking funny.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I spent four hours yesterday removing a rear body from an 85 Club Car DS. Job should have been one hour at most, but 31 years leads to rusty bolts that needed to be cut off with a dremel. All of them!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A good number of these guys are golf cart hobbyist. As such the fun is in the details and the time spent making this right not fast
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The faster you wanna do the job, the more bolts you break (and other broken/damaged stuff). As said above, options installed & years of rust play their part too.. Too many other variables, like changing a OBC or controller on a club car with no rear access panel takes a while. Motors that wont slip off the axle splines take a while, doing anything other than a brake job on a Western takes a while (try changing a ITS or steering box on a western ).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The reason I like to fix things myself (carts, cars, coffee makers, etc) is that I can do it right with little care about how long it takes. If you are in it to make money, you have to compromise and take less time. As you gain experience, you can do it faster. My problem is that by the time I figure out how to do it faster, I am done with that job and I won't be doing it again.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think this information is very helpful...

Looks like maybe there are 2 times...the first of what it could be for the task if all works well and the other time value is actual or worst case.

For example...Somewhere I read someone with a motor change with flip rear seat, jacked up the cart and took the motor out the bottom... It would be interesting to know if that is a better way to do it than removing flip seat and taking it out the access panel...

I understand there is no exact time...and there are a few beers in between removing one bolt and getting the grinder out for the next one...

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
I think this information is very helpful...

Looks like maybe there are 2 times...the first of what it could be for the task if all works well and the other time value is actual or worst case.

For example...Somewhere I read someone with a motor change with flip rear seat, jacked up the cart and took the motor out the bottom... It would be interesting to know if that is a better way to do it than removing flip seat and taking it out the access panel...

I understand there is no exact time...and there are a few beers in between removing one bolt and getting the grinder out for the next one...

As a service tech we always took the motors out under the carts if they had rear box or seat..... it was just faster.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

On yamaha G14 & newer, out the bottom is the only way. Theres a frame tube in the way on the top. But, if you are just servicing the input shaft, seal, splines, bearing, you can put a piece of plywood across the rear swingarm to hold the motor while service is performed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO