lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #1
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ez go will not charge

I have a 2003 ez go txt recently rewired and it runs well. However the charging receptacle and the charger plug both had burned contacts which made it very difficult to insert the plug. I replaced both parts and each shows power when tested, but do not activate the charger when in contact.

The cart runs and has 36.2 volts when tested.

I need help! The only thing I haven't done is replace or bypass the reed switch..
kritter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ez go will not charge

The reed switch disables the cart when the charger plug is plugged into the charge receptacle, but other than that, it has no role in battery charging.

What voltage do you measure between the + and - terminals in the charge receptacle?

Also, there should only be an insulator sleeve on the + terminal. (Item 17 on attached drawing)
The charger senses the pack voltage via the auxiliary contact in the charger plug touching the outside of the negative terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge Receptacle - sleeve.jpg (84.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With your tester read the voltage in the charge receptacle... so you can verify the charger is seeing 36v when it plugs in and #2, insure the white (+) lead is on the drivers side of the plug.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
BigDaddy0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Make sure your negative connection were the charge wire is attached is clean and making good contact. I had this same problem last weekend and it was caused by the anti-corrosion spray I used that leached between the terminals.
BigDaddy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay. I had to remove an insulator from the negative terminal. Voltage was 36.2 volts at the charger receptacle. The charger that belongs with the cart still did not come on, but mine did.

I wonder what could be wrong with the charger plug? Or is it likely to be an internal problem? Earlier I tested the charger with my cart and it came on, but not this time.

I appreciate your help.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
With your tester read the voltage in the charge receptacle... so you can verify the charger is seeing 36v when it plugs in and #2, insure the white (+) lead is on the drivers side of the plug.
Well? What was the voltage reading in the plug?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter1 View Post
Okay. I had to remove an insulator from the negative terminal. Voltage was 36.2 volts at the charger receptacle. The charger that belongs with the cart still did not come on, but mine did.

I wonder what could be wrong with the charger plug? Or is it likely to be an internal problem? Earlier I tested the charger with my cart and it came on, but not this time.

I appreciate your help.
Check the Auxiliary contact in the charger's plug.
If it doesn't touch the outside of the negative terminal, the charger(s) won't turn on.

It might have gotten bent by the negative terminal having an insulator sleeve on it, or it could be dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clean Aux contact.JPG (26.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally got it up and running. Problem was the contact flange in the male handle. It had been pushed in where it didn't make contact. Pulling it out allowed contact and it worked.

Thank to all of you. Great source of information and very interesting dialogue.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Voltage reading in the plug was 36.8V, charger receptacle voltage was 36.0
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO